Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-13-2006, 05:44 PM

1620LE owners.....

have you tried the tone control bypass? I looked at the manual today and saw that it was as easy as pushing in a little button. And just as easy to reverse....

Wondering if it changes the sonics of the mixer, or if it just makes the 1620LE seem like the tone controls are set to flat?

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 03-13-2006, 05:57 PM

I thought about doing this so that I could use an external 15-band EQ in the effects loop... but the two band EQ is all I really need at the moment... so I got lazy and cheap and didn't look into it any further... if a three-band isolator came out (and I could afford it) I will definately disengage the built-in EQ.

-H-
Old 03-13-2006, 06:00 PM

wont cost you a thing to just disengage the circuit... they even put in a little button there to make it easy for you... (check out page 29 of your manual)

won't even have to spring for solder or flux....

I read that the mod changes the sound of the vintage units, wondering if it also changes the sound of the new ones....

slow day on the boards....

dsa_audio or Mistick Krewe or dave
Old 03-13-2006, 08:09 PM

i know nothing about the 1620LE, but i did experiment with the EQ bypass on the A&H xone:62 and was amazed at how big of a difference i heard on the monitors.
with the EQ in, it sounded like some kind of a limiter had been inserted into the circuit, and the deeper side of the low end seemed to disappear somewhat.
for the rest of the night i left off the EQ and just used the high pass filter to mix, which didn't seem to have as much audible effect when you engaged it (as long as the resonance was at a reasonable level).
unfortunately, since that night someone spilled something on the mixer, and now only one of filter channels works, which makes it a lot less fun to use.
Old 03-15-2006, 04:30 AM

Interesting topic Louped...

I too would be very interested to hear whether bypassing the tone controls would effect the sound. I have just ordered myself an E&S Isolator to go with my 1620LE and to be honest I didn't realise you could bypass the tone controls on the mixer. I never touch them anyway so when my isolator arrives I think I will follow your tip off and turn the tone controls off. As I will have no use for them it can probably only be a good thing for the sound?

Peace
Old 03-15-2006, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaysoul
Interesting topic Louped...

I too would be very interested to hear whether bypassing the tone controls would effect the sound. I have just ordered myself an E&S Isolator to go with my 1620LE and to be honest I didn't realise you could bypass the tone controls on the mixer. I never touch them anyway so when my isolator arrives I think I will follow your tip off and turn the tone controls off. As I will have no use for them it can probably only be a good thing for the sound?

Peace

I tried to bypass it (really easy to do for a non technical guy) and heard no real difference but I don't have a huge system at home.

Did you take the isolator with additional send and return effect at E&S? I've got it for 1 year now and it's dope, especially if you want to add a pioneer efx500 box and not affect the sound (for that, even on my home system, I can really hear the difference)

Peace
Old 03-15-2006, 09:49 AM

Hey Johann,

No I didn't go for the E&S with send & return.
Although now you mention it, that's a really good feature to have if you're running an EFX 500 becuase I take it you just continually bypass the EFX unit and then just flip the bypass switch off when you choose to use an effect in the mix?

I have thought about getting an EFX but not sure if I will. I'm just getting the X 3004 to run through the FX loop of the LE. Looking forward to it too.

So you really notice the difference in sound from your Urei when you turn the bypass of the E&S off and run the signal through the EFX 500?

Jay
Old 03-15-2006, 12:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
in theory the signal have to be more clean, because its less process inside the mixer,

otherwise if you use pioneer fx , or similar process that change more the sound .

the clearest sound have to be direct of line outputs, (tape outputs)

i think, also booth sounds little difrent than main outputs, in 1620 ,, i dont know about 1620LE
Old 03-16-2006, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jaysoul
Hey Johann,

So you really notice the difference in sound from your Urei when you turn the bypass of the E&S off and run the signal through the EFX 500?

Jay

Definitely, it's like mixing on a pionner stuff if you let the efx in the chain for too long. If you level is not too high, on one track it's quite ok but when you mix and you have 2 tracks on, that a different story and the sound is really "pioneer" colored.

You have 2 more rotary buttons, one to control how much of effect you want to put in the chain (if you're at 0, the sound is not impacted at all), and the second button is to select the volume of the return effect).

The only misatke I've made is asking jerome to remove me the main bypass switch because at this time I had a rane mp+xp with a switch on the main console to do that. A friend also told me that with this specific crossover (effect), if you play to hard with the rotary, sometime you hit the switch accidentaly and so it just desengage the isolator.