Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-26-2010, 02:32 PM

E&S DJR 400 or UREI 1620

Guys im looking to trade or sell my original Rane 2016 so im going to try a diferent mixer and i was thinking of the E&S DJR 400 or UREI 1620 or even the Urei 1620 LE.

I allready tried the LE and the DJR.
The Djr to my ears is better sounding, small and i dont need to buy a extra Iso.

Original Urei never tried it.

What do u guys think is the best ?
Old 08-26-2010, 03:22 PM

e&s is alot more practical than a 1620, meaning if you want to take it on the road, e&s is going to suit you more than a 1620. You can buy a case to rack mount the 1620 also, but that is all on you.

soundwise they all sound amazing, i own an original 1620 and it never fails to produce quality sound. The LE i hear is fantastic too and has improvements from the original. Also like a vintage automobile, if you end up with an original 1620, consider the cost and availabilty of a technician that can work on them.
Old 08-26-2010, 03:23 PM

original 1620s are somewhat basic to work on, don't you think?

through hole construction, schematics available....
Old 08-26-2010, 03:51 PM

yea i guess.. if you know how to work on them than it can be easy
Old 08-26-2010, 04:35 PM

Hello, I'm new here (love the forum have been lurking for ages, always find it very informative) I have a djr 400 and it sounds FANTASTIC, never heard an original urei, would love to hear comparisons from people who have payed on both......btw the alpha mixer from japan could be an option (anyone used it?)
Old 08-26-2010, 04:55 PM

Urei 1620 all the way, perhaps if the DJR was in a biger rack format without being so ugly and with all the cables hanging out the back I would consider it but no way would I spend a load of money on a mixer the size of a pea that I couldn't put into a install situation and I couldn't care how good it sounded.
If I blew the money the E&S goes for I want something that don't look like a toy...now that Japanese Alpha stuff...that looks amazing in terms of build quality, construction, design and reports say it sounds damn good too...thats what my money is on personally
Old 08-26-2010, 05:01 PM

if you can find an old audioarts 5200, they are also nice sounding mixers...

I/O is somewhat limited tho'

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 08-26-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:15 PM

Although, I haven't used these units, I think you need to outline what your requirements are before you make a decision. In regards to SQ, I would suspect that you can't go wrong with either unit. The DJR400 has a number of features that set it apart from the 1620 and all in a ultra portable chassis. It really depends on your needs.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:18 PM

If money was no object, I'd buy the E&S, it sounds great, its great to use and its easy to get a nice rack mounting for it.

However, I managed to get the LE AND the E&S Iso for just over half the price of the DJR, so thats what I went for.
Old 08-26-2010, 05:48 PM

Dope jams NYC are selling the alpha on there site it's nearly 2500! Looks sweet
Old 08-26-2010, 06:05 PM

bad time to market mixers like the alpha and e&s
Old 08-26-2010, 08:06 PM

Hi, I cant really comment on the Urei but I own a DJR400 and its a really great mixer for many of the reasons already mentioned by other members.... such as the sound, built in ISO, send & return etc.

The main reason I went for the DJR was the portability, previous to the DJR I had a V6 which I really liked but it was such a pain to move around to gigs and many places couldn't accommodate it. The DJR with its relatively small form factor it will fit in most booths and even your record bag!

One draw back however is its size, and this is my main bugbear! I find the channel EQ knobs are very close together, more so than on any other mixer Ive used. I thought i would get used to it but after a year or so it still does my head in!

Other points are minor, but I think after using the mixer would be useful additions...

1. The EQ knobs could do with a click at 12 o'clock
2. A second PFL meter that allows you to compare the master and cue signal levels.

Just my tuppence worth, I guess no mixer is perfect for everyone and its still a great mixer and I wouldnt change it!

Old 08-26-2010, 11:27 PM

thank U ALL Guys for your coments

Well money is allways a problem, if not because i love mixer ill buy all the good rotarys available but i cant, not rich

Well the Djr400 maybe is the better option for me but is a lot of money.
The original Urei 1620 would be too a great option but i live in europe, Portugal so its allways a pain because of the costums. Another pain is if something blows in the mixer, i have to send to US to fix and then receive it again in Portugal (more Costums)

The Alpha i think it will so expensive like he Djr

Maybe the cheaper option would be the Urei LE.
Allready tried it and i did like it. Build like a tank, sounded nice with Traktor scratch pro and i love to mix with it..
Just wondering if the sound quality of this one is equal to the original 1620 or the Djr...?

Iso i would like to know between the Bozak 4 iso and the E&S wich is the better one for the price. Here in Portugal the Bozak coasts 800€ and the E&S 530€ (Jerome imself).

Thanks again for helping me with this choice
Old 08-26-2010, 11:33 PM

Does anybody nows where to buy the stanton next xcut3 unit ?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2010, 01:50 AM

The Urei 1620 is classic.
The DJR400 is a modern classic.
Both their values will appreciate (hopefully) with years to come.

They both have excellent sound, although I believe the DJR is slightly "cleaner" but still has that punch. I own one... it is a great portable mixer.

If you are planning to have a booth with a 19" opening for equipment, a 19" rack-able mixer might be a better choice. The DJR is better if you gig a lot and need to use it on top of a table.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektrikboy

Iso i would like to know between the Bozak 4 iso and the E&S wich is the better one for the price. Here in Portugal the Bozak coasts 800 and the E&S 530 (Jerome imself).

Thanks again for helping me with this choice

Personally I prefer the E&S, the pots are a bit tighter and I don't bother with the 4-way when I do use the Bozak anyway. Price-wise its much better as well!
Old 08-27-2010, 10:07 AM

I think I'd choose a DJR 400 over the 1620 LE if I had the cash. Other than that I think I'd might choose an ARS 4100 over an original Urei 1620, but again I'm not sure.

I have a Rane MP/XP 2016 combo now, but I'm starting to feel the urge to try something else. A original Urei would be cool, but my choice would most likely be between the ARS 4100 and a E&S/GSA ISO on the side or the E&S DJR 400.

One important thing to consider is probably how the cuing works. Can you preview multiple channels at the time and can you listen to master and channel x at the same time. At least this is kind of important to me.

I'm going back to Tokyo in February and I know Dance Music Records had two ARS 4100, one black and one silver, for display. Maybe I will ask to test it. I also noticed that Disk Union had one, but both at DMR and Disk Union I think they use these units for rentals, because they looked and felt kind of abused, lol.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:50 PM

(DJR400) although you can have all channels sent to the headphones cue, you will not be able to blend/mix the program and cue like you can on the Rane MP2016a. The cue/program mix is a great tool if the monitors you are working with are not loud enough, blown, or you want to mix strictly in the headphones (good for bedroom djs late night).

if you need the ability to mix the channels in cue, neither mixer will do the job. The DJR400 will let you preview all channels in cue, but will not allow you to mix the 2 (ie lower level on the cue and higher on the program using a knob). The urei will not let you cue more than one channel at a time.

Last edited by mg75 : 08-27-2010 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 05:17 PM

Thank U All Guys

Is there much sound difference between the original Urei to the LE ?
Old 08-28-2010, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektrikboy
Thank U All Guys

Is there much sound difference between the original Urei to the LE ?

Uh oh thats a can of worms here
Old 08-31-2010, 06:59 AM

Ok guys Thank u All for your replys...

Now going to sell my Rane and then get a Urei or a Djr400 if i can get so much €.

Thanks
Old 08-31-2010, 01:01 PM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Lektrikboy clear your PM box

Lektrikboy clear your pm messages your box is full and no longer receiving messages.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM

re: 1620 vs 1620LE sound:

I've made several modifications to my 1620LE (changing in slight ways the unit functions, not "better capacitor/opamp" type upgrades).

I don't have a new schematic, all I have is the original schematic. It's never failed me in making these modifications. So, I'd say most of the differences you'd hear between a new one and an old one in excellent original condition would have to do with the age of components.

edit: Oh, and as electronics go, it's an extremely easy thing to work on.

rs
Old 09-01-2010, 03:44 PM

I have the LE schematics if you want them, I uploaded them a few years ago..not sure if the link is still active but do a search on the forum and see if it's still there if not i'll email them to you

There are differences in design and components used albeit quite small
Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM

Hey there,

I have directly compared my mate's DJR400 to my 1620LE + ISO-X and we both agreed that the DJR is inferior in sound quality (to our ears). There was something missing with the clarity of highs of the DJR400's sound and then when we hooked up the 1620/ISO it was pretty clear to us that the latter sounded better. When mixing on the E&S I always found I had to turn up the highs, where as I would leave them neutral on the Urei/Bozak.

Obviously the DJR400 is the best sounding "portable" mixer out there and I would choose it over most modern set ups for sure - but for me I know which I preferred for a home set up. Hope this helps

BTW our test was with modern deep house tracks on vinyl using 1210's MK3 and Audio Technica 440MLa carts - if you use cd's then that will be a different kettle of fish all together!

Last edited by CJ Branda : 09-01-2010 at 04:09 PM.