Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 02:43 AM

Sbs Thrive Audio Analog Showroom In Singapore @ Stereolab

For this Amazing new SBS - Thrive Audio Showroom at StereoLab Singapore, I will be introducing my new series of HIFI horn loaded cabinets called SDF series.

The all new SBS SDF series of Loudspeakers are designed to fly above a Dance floor, for spaces that dont want a Ground Stacked system but have the output of a stack. This variation of the SDF 3 for StereoLab is TAD Loaded, The SDF series will be offered in 2 diff variations, a Trip 15 Horn loaded version, with a 12 for low mid, and 1 - 2 in exit custom designed SBS CD Horn.

The SDF 2 is the DBL 15 Horn version of the SDF 3, both versions will be available with a 12 in driver for low mid, and a 2 in exit horn with SBS Horns. It will be offered in a wide range of drivers for all budgets.

This new SDF 3 series of full range loudspeakers for StereoLab will consist of 3 TAD 1603s horn loaded, 1 Horn Loaded RCF 12 for low mid, with 1 - TAD 4002 mounted to a custom designed 2 in exit CD horn to reproduce the Mid High end. I now have my own series of custom designed CD horns for all my cabinets. For Sub Bass there will be 4 SBS SBH 2.18 Berthas.

The Thrive Processing will consist of a Thrive Audio vacuum tube 5 way Isolator & Thrive Audio Bender 5 way program eq, to sweeten up the program material. With a SBS S3X 3 way xover for the djs main control of the system. The cd players will be processed thru ext Lavry dacs & system will utilize Summit Audio DCL 200 Compresion.

The entire system Booth & House will be powered by Thrive audio. We will be unvailing 2 new Thrive amps @ StereoLab, The Thrive Lena on the Tweeter Arrays, & our new ampifier which is un named at the Moment, & will be our most powerful to date, The bigger Brother to Maya, with a continuos sign wave power rating at 4 ohms of 1600 watts per channel.

The House will be powered by :
1 Thrive Audio Lena on 2 SBS Tweeter Arrays
1 Thrive Audio Syla on 4 TAD TD 4002s
1 Thrive Audio Nyla on 4 RCF 12 in Low Mid Drivers
2 Thrive Audio Mayas on 12 TAD TL 1603s
2 Thrive Audio Subbass Amps on 4 SBH 2.18 Berthas

The Booth Power:
1 Thrive Audio Syla for Mid High
1 Thrive Audio Reya for Low Mid
1 Thrive Audio Iona for MidBass

StereoLab will Utilize in the booth a Rane 2016 & 2016exp, a 4 phono/4 cd player SBS console, with 2 SBS Custom Built 3 way Monitors

Ill have pics soon to post

Press Release Link:
http://e-clubbing.com/2009/05/stereo...-in-august-09/

www.systemsbsyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 05-18-2009 at 03:28 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Can you give the sub amp a name already? Geez, I t hink they're right on here, you don't provide enough info, biatch!
Old 05-19-2009, 12:59 AM

Just call it "the un named amp"..... works for me!
Old 05-19-2009, 01:09 AM

How bout "Big Brotha!"

Congratulations on the new install, Shorty!

Can't wait to hear the reviews...
Old 05-19-2009, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
I now have my own series of custom designed CD horns for all my cabinets.

Is this (one of the?) the custom horns you are using?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SBS_FLH_112T_-A.jpg
Views:	569
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	2307  

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 05-19-2009 at 04:18 PM. Reason: embed picture instead of linking it
Old 05-19-2009, 04:04 PM

Shorty, I am a little confused and not ashamed to ask. How can a system be Analog with a Rane 2016 mixer at the head?
Old 05-19-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainjr
Shorty, I am a little confused and not ashamed to ask. How can a system be Analog with a Rane 2016 mixer at the head?

Because it's a 100% analogue mixer silly
Old 05-19-2009, 10:11 PM

The only digital thing in his system is the CDJ’s I’m sure he will have (lets face it we can’t avoid them). Mind you you could say the same for a lot of club systems.. If you don’t use a DSP & digital mixer you pretty much have a analogue rig!!

System looks good Shorty, can’t wait for some pics!
Old 05-19-2009, 10:32 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
Is this (one of the?) the custom horns you are using?

This is the horn loaded SBS FLH 112T fully TAD mid high cabinet, i designed and used in the hifi system i built for Athens Greece.

The actual CD horn the driver bolts to is custom for SBS this is another series of components i have designed and will be used in all SBS cabinets. Hope this answers your question

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 05-19-2009 at 10:37 PM.
Old 05-19-2009, 10:41 PM

Shorty,

Congrats to you on this job.

Mario G
Old 05-20-2009, 03:45 PM

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmariog
Shorty,

Congrats to you on this job.

Mario G

i appreciate it
Old 05-20-2009, 04:27 PM

it did...

Quote:
This is the horn loaded SBS FLH 112T fully TAD mid high cabinet, i designed and used in the hifi system i built for Athens Greece.

The actual CD horn the driver bolts to is custom for SBS this is another series of components i have designed and will be used in all SBS cabinets. Hope this answers your question

Thanks!

also congratulations on the
installations/design work you've been involved in...

it's nice to be seeing the world on another person's dime...
(even if the time abroad is spent work work working....)
Old 05-21-2009, 04:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to michinyc
italy needs something like this.... the only club in italy i know has a good soundsystem was the FITZCARRALDO, installation by GSA, but is close now. club owners are bullshit!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:43 PM

Nice work... Check your pm shorty.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Can't wait to see some pics Shorty. Yet another system I would love to get the chance to hear. Onward and upward, peace, Charlie
Old 05-22-2009, 12:04 AM

Shorty surfaced and is alive! I thought he fell in quicksand.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:31 AM

Google Stereo Lab Singapore. There are already a few posts about the venue.

Congratulations again to you, Shorty! Finally, a SBS that I can actually check out. Manila is only a 3 hr flight to Singapore.
Old 05-22-2009, 08:44 PM

Tru & thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
The only digital thing in his system is the CDJ’s I’m sure he will have (lets face it we can’t avoid them). Mind you you could say the same for a lot of club systems.. If you don’t use a DSP & digital mixer you pretty much have a analogue rig!!

System looks good Shorty, can’t wait for some pics!

but not by choice, this is what todays media is avail for, DJ cd players. But we have talked about this subject many times cds / digital media is here to stay to make the music we all love.

So to get the most out of the 4 cdj 1000 mk3`s, i am using 4 Lavry DA10 Ext Dacs, with Apogee SPIDIF cables, then out of the Lavry DACS i am using Mogami Analog cables.

All my processing is going thru high quality Mogami cables, & with this system set up like this, Digi Media, CD or Files, will sound Incredible on this set.

When i used the Benchmark DAC1 in Athens Greece with Cardis cables, the cdjs sounded amazing on My HIFI system i Built, IMO i like the Lavry DA10s better so i am expecting amazing results with this config.

There are 4 tecnnics 1200s in the booth for the guys that wanna play vinyl all night, Fri Nights are classic Garage and disco parties, they have alot of amazing House djs booked for Stereo Lab.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 05-22-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 11:16 PM

I'll have to check out these Lavry DA10s, I need a couple of DAC's for a job i am doing next month!

Digital media is here to stay (though i'm still a vinyl junkie) so we have to design our systems to suit whether i like it or not!!!!
Old 05-25-2009, 03:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
I had a chance to finally check out the new system and all I can say is it's probably some of the best audio I've ever heard in my entire life. And although I don't go back like a lot of the seniors on here do, comparing it to some of my favorite systems of all time, Twilo, Stereo, G-Spot China, Old Vinyl (before Arc), this easily beats all of them in clarity, acoustic realism and plain old thump.

What really amazed me, was even with how great the G-Spot system was in china (which didn't have Thrive or many of the other bells and whistles of the Greece system or the new demo system), it still needed eq'ing like any other system. It sounded better then just about any system I had previously heard, but we all know you have to have some eq'ing to get it really sweet sounding.

The new demo system can play anything, as I went through some jazz, classical, acoustic, etc, etc and right into modern stuff, tribal, techno, vocal, etc. BUT the system was totally flat on the eq's. No program EQ, just the 5-way Thrive which was defeated. Yes a bit of of tweaking per genre helps a hair, but I've never heard a big system without a 31-band sound anything remotely like this.

I went on to say while listening to some upcoming releases on my label where I was very familiar with the material, I heard things in the mix that I never even heard on my own studio monitors, which are really great sounding speakers.

So that's my 5 objective cents, honestly. TAD/Thrive w/ the Lavry DAC's sound AMAZING. that's all I can say.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:04 AM

Shorty,

I will be in Singapore next month visiting my brother in law who lives there. Will it be complete ? The name of the club is Stereolab ?

Mario G
Old 05-25-2009, 11:58 AM

Old 06-06-2009, 02:48 AM

Update

Quote:
For this Amazing new SBS - Thrive Audio Showroom at StereoLab Singapore, I will be introducing my new series of HIFI horn loaded cabinets called SDF series.

The all new SBS SDF series of Loudspeakers are designed to fly above a Dance floor, for spaces that dont want a Ground Stacked system but have the output of a stack. This variation of the SDF 3 for StereoLab is TAD Loaded, The SDF series will be offered in 2 diff variations, a Trip 15 Horn loaded version, with a 12 for low mid, and 1 - 2 in exit custom designed SBS CD Horn.

The SDF 2 is the DBL 15 Horn version of the SDF 3, both versions will be available with a 12 in driver for low mid, and a 2 in exit horn with SBS Horns. It will be offered in a wide range of drivers for all budgets.

This new SDF 3 series of full range loudspeakers for StereoLab will consist of 3 TAD 1603s horn loaded, 1 Horn Loaded RCF 12 for low mid, with 1 - TAD 4002 mounted to a custom designed 2 in exit CD horn to reproduce the Mid High end. I now have my own series of custom designed CD horns for all my cabinets. For Sub Bass there will be 4 SBS SBH 2.18 Berthas.

The Thrive Processing will consist of a Thrive Audio vacuum tube 5 way Isolator & Thrive Audio Bender 5 way program eq, to sweeten up the program material. With a SBS S3X 3 way xover for the djs main control of the system. The cd players will be processed thru ext Lavry dacs & system will utilize Summit Audio DCL 200 Compresion.

The entire system Booth & House will be powered by Thrive audio. We will be unvailing 2 new Thrive amps @ StereoLab, The Thrive Lena on the Tweeter Arrays, & our new ampifier which is un named at the Moment, & will be our most powerful to date, The bigger Brother to Maya, with a continuos sign wave power rating at 4 ohms of 1600 watts per channel.

The House will be powered by :
1 Thrive Audio Lena on 2 SBS Tweeter Arrays
1 Thrive Audio Syla on 4 TAD TD 4002s
1 Thrive Audio Nyla on 4 RCF 12 in Low Mid Drivers
2 Thrive Audio Mayas on 12 TAD TL 1603s
2 Thrive Audio Subbass Amps on 4 SBH 2.18 Berthas

The Booth Power:
1 Thrive Audio Syla for Mid High
1 Thrive Audio Reya for Low Mid
1 Thrive Audio Iona for MidBass

StereoLab will Utilize in the booth a Rane 2016 & 2016exp, a 4 phono/4 cd player SBS console, with 2 SBS Custom Built 3 way Monitors

Ill have pics soon to post

Press Release Link:
http://e-clubbing.com/2009/05/stereo...-in-august-09/

www.systemsbsyshorty.com

on the build so far, so much has been completed,

The Berthas should be done in the next 2 days, just the front needs to be put on the last 2 boxes and there complete.

The 4 TT / 4 CD Console will be started after the berthas are done. The 2 Diamond Jewel style Tweeter arrays,
( shown below in the attachment wrapped in Leather, taken from my HiFi Athens system pics) these will be built last painted blk, since they are the smallest and easiest of the process.

The 3 way monitors should be completed by the end of the weekend, and I should have pix of them shortly to post. The prototype mock ups kick some serious ass. i do mock ups when i voice the speakers, before the real speakers are built, so if a change needs to be made in the way they sound, it is done in the mock up modified a few times, then the actual cabinets get done once they are rt, The output on the mock ups is nuts.

The horn loaded mid high section / top boxes should all be assembled be wed, then the SBS FLH 315 will go together after that. Once the 4 TAD loaded- FLH 315s are completed, the midbass & Mid high will assembled as 1 - together, then get sanded out and prepped for paint.

For the the fullrange, I am welding a steel chasis, with 6 points for rigging that the fullrange mounts in. The chasis is made custom around the fullrange cube, while the paint is curing so it is done efficiently.

The custom SBS CD horns came out amazing I will try to post pics of these so people can see them.

Most of the hand made Thrive Audio amps are built and most of it is tested, I am waiting on transformers to come in on the large amps so they can be finalized tested and boxed for shipment.

The 2 Marchand xovers for the booth and house fullrange are done, modified and tested and sound amazing. The SBS S3X xover is tested and boxed for shipping to my shop

Isolator and Bender eq are completed

Once the console and tweeter arrays are done the Berthas,console & arrays will then be painted.

I should have more pics to display soon.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

For Daily updates check out:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image007.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2311  Click image for larger version

Name:	s3x.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	2314  Click image for larger version

Name:	ARRAY.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	2316  Click image for larger version

Name:	sbscard3.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	2317  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 06-06-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 01:57 PM

Congrats Shorty, can't wait to see pics

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 06-08-2009, 11:35 AM
sunjitwhy

Awesome!

That club reminds me of Sona Bar in Montreal ... only it will sound a helluva lot better!! Congrats man. When does the party start??!