Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2008, 01:17 AM

Was this Bozak installed at the Paradise Garage?

I just got this Bozak that I had mentioned in a previous thread. There are a lot of interesting markings on this mixer. The mixer does not have phono cards and whomever used it back in the day pulled them and used external phono preamps (possibly because they like to use MC carts like Larry Levan).

The mixer says Paradise Garage on the transformer. It looks like it was original written in black marker and then gold paint pen. one sticker says: #1827 Spectra Lighting (I found a website under this name, the company is in Long Beach, CA). There is also a funny cartoon stuck to the chassis.

Because there are so many pictures, please don't quote when you reply.

http://s69.photobucket.com/albums/i5...t=P1060716.jpg

Old 08-25-2008, 07:35 AM

if it was youve gota peiceof history and im sure the garage went thru a few mixers but even still its cool

now youve got todecide to leave it as is for posterity or refurbish it and use it

some ppl would give there left testicle for something like this

it would makesense that it has no phono inputs as im sure the garage would have had its own phono preamps on the thorens

neato

where did you get this?

peas
Old 08-25-2008, 07:56 AM

You might want to PM forum member LuvLatins to see what he knows about this mixer. I seem to remember a thread where he bought a similar Bozak only for it to arrive missing quite a few cards.
Old 08-25-2008, 11:54 AM

This is the same mixer that LuvLatins bought, it was only missing phono cards and the other cards became unseated in shipping because the foam pad had rotted away. Apparently the transaction was a mess. The guy I got it from was very upset over the ordeal.

I am going to clean it up (I have already cleaned the face and knobs) and install phono preamp cards. I will also recap it with Black Gate caps like my other Bozak. I am not going to do any mods or change anything else.

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 08-25-2008 at 10:36 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:25 PM

very cool

peas
Old 08-25-2008, 04:35 PM

It looks like this mixer was built in Feb '76, which I believe was the same year that the garage opened.

But then it would be easy to write on it "paradise garage" to up the value.

Who knows.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:36 PM

Yeah, the Garage was throwing construction parties at that point. I did not pay a premium for provenance. I am hoping that some of the other markings will ring a bell for someone. Also, the knobs look like they were deliberately scratched. One of them clearly has a "1," and another "2," these are on mic 1 and 2 respectively.

The guy I bought it from bought it from Tim Eggers in Florida. Tim told him that he worked for a sound company that serviced the Garage. Who took over after RLA passed away?

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 08-25-2008 at 11:12 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:39 PM

Isn't that the one LuvLatins bought that was bunk?

Isn't that the one LuvLatins bought that was bunk?
Old 08-25-2008, 11:37 PM

On second thought,I am not going to recap it. It is sounding incredible. I will have to get some nerds over here to compare this one to my '78. BTW, there is nothing bunk about this mixer, I don't think there is such thing as a bunk Bozak. I am glad LuvLatins had buyers remorse because he has an LE now and I have this.

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 08-29-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-29-2008, 10:24 AM

Wow that's great man. Thanks for posting those classic pictures.
Old 08-29-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr ZDUR
On second thought,I am not going to recap it. It is sounding incredible. I will have to get some nerds over here to compare this one to my '78. BTW, there is nothing bunk about this mixer, I don't think there is such thing as a bunk Bozak. I am glad LuvLatins had buyers remorse because he has an LE now and I have this.

Now thats an interesting looking rig !
Give us a breakdown on what you're running there mate. Fascinated to hear all the mods and who the pre amps are by etc...
C'mon show off a little !
Old 08-30-2008, 12:26 AM

My set-up is:
Bozak 10-2DL "Paradise" pictured or "Inferno" (has DLA mods)
2 1200 MK2 with Rega arms (one Origin Live and the other Michell)
1 SL-P 1200 CD player (the first CDJ)
Vestax FDG-1 isolator (just got this)
2 Heathkit 14 watt tube monoblocks
1980 Klipsch LaScala
Kimber Kable and Mogami interconnects and DH Labs T-14 speaker wire
I also have a ClearAudio Micro Basic phono stage, DBX 120, and some solid state amps (Bryston and Crown)

I think it sounds pretty damn ideal. I am getting rid of a lot of stuff because how the LaScalas with the 14 watt tube amps fills up the room with sound.

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 08-30-2008 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-30-2008, 10:41 AM

Quote:
My set-up is:
Bozak 10-2DL "Paradise" pictured or "Inferno" (has DLA mods)
2 1200 MK2 with Rega arms (one Origin Live and the other Michell)
1 SL-P 1200 CD player (the first CDJ)
Vestax FDG-1 isolator (just got this)
2 Heathkit 14 watt tube monoblocks
1980 Klipsch LaScala
Kimber Kable and Mogami interconnects and DH Labs T-14 speaker wire
I also have a ClearAudio Micro Basic phono stage, DBX 120, and some solid state amps (Bryston and Crown)

I think it sounds pretty damn ideal. I am getting rid of a lot of stuff because how the LaScalas with the 14 watt tube amps fills up the room with sound.

Would love to hear your rig, that list is really impressive.
Has it come together the way you imagined and are the arm mods really that noticeable ? Which do you think sounds better if there is indeed a difference ?
Sorry about all the questions mate but your set up is one of the most interesting i have seen in a long time.
Old 08-30-2008, 02:16 PM

I want to create a huge sound that is even across the room. I have a center channel and tweeter array as well. I am quite happy with it and the LaScalas blow me away.

The arms make a huge difference. Defects in the vinyl aren't as noticeable,the bass is more accurate and deeper, and there is more dynamic range. I like the Origin Live arm better, it has the internal rewire. I have the Michell arm that i wired myself internally with silver dipped OFC copper and externally wired with some 70 ohm Mogami which I am going to redo with Mogami Quad cable. there are a bunch of recordings on my blog (posts by LeBaron) with the Origin live arm.
Old 08-31-2008, 06:06 AM

Quote:
I want to create a huge sound that is even across the room. I have a center channel and tweeter array as well. I am quite happy with it and the LaScalas blow me away.

The arms make a huge difference. Defects in the vinyl aren't as noticeable,the bass is more accurate and deeper, and there is more dynamic range. I like the Origin Live arm better, it has the internal rewire. I have the Michell arm that i wired myself internally with silver dipped OFC copper and externally wired with some 70 ohm Mogami which I am going to redo with Mogami Quad cable. there are a bunch of recordings on my blog (posts by LeBaron) with the Origin live arm.

Sounds incredible.
Gonna check out the blog now.
Thanks man !
Old 10-11-2008, 06:05 AM

I wish you well and hope it really did come out of the Garage. I checked my photos and yes that was the mixer. It was sold to me by Mr. John Middle in Oakland, CA.

It had no phono cards installed -- the 3rd prong was cut off the power cord and all the cards were all loose and unseated. The power LED did not come on and since I did not have any phono cards could not test to see if it even worked (which I seriously doubt)

When I complained to John that it had no phono cards in it and came in bad shape he told me "dont worry" I insured it and will place a claim. Trust me when I tell you that was his plan from the very beginning.

I think he just wanted to say it was damaged by UPS in shipping which is not true I took pictures of the original packing material and I am sure it arrived exactly as he shipped it. (A mess !)

Yes it did get ugly and I notified the US Attoreny's Office of the transation when John refused to refund my money. I was about to start legal action when pay pal finally returned my money. (took over a month) I think I paid him $600 dollars for it.

If you did restore it to its old glory than good for you that is great. I always like to hear that another Bozak is back in service. Yes I do have an LE and for me its great. I did not want to take on a restoration project. When I am ready to buy a Bozak I will pay either John or Mario and let them do the hard work so I can just enjoy it.

I hope you enjoy your Bozak and am glad to see that if found a home where it is appreciated. Would be nice to see pictures of it after you have it restored. I wish I knew someone from the Garage that could verify its the real deal but My contacts are on Fire Island and the Saint. There is a chance however its the real deal. I bet Mario can trace the serial number back to its manufacturing date through Buzzy. Its worth a try.

Regards,

LuvLatins
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00123.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	2086  Click image for larger version

Name:	Paradise Garage.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	2087  

Last edited by LuvLatins : 10-11-2008 at 06:15 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:05 PM

The problem is that in these older Bozaks, the output and cue amp cards are not screwed into the bottom PC board. They are held into place with foam at the top of the chassis. As you can see in your pic, the foam has rotted, which is why the cards became unseated. You could have plugged in the cards and run a line device in the inputs and it would have probably worked fine since they are built so well. There was a problem with the cue system when I first looked at it and he had his tech fix it.

Anyhoo, John Middle is a very stand up dude and could have sold it to someone for a lot more than he sold it to me.

Pics to follow.

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 10-12-2008 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:35 PM

Here are some pics of it. I am going to recap it after all. There was a ton of soot in the chassis from cap failures. It is getting all Black Gate caps and Sprague Atoms for the ones that need axial leads. I got a bunch of used Alps pots from John K, so that is a bonus. I am also gonna rewire it with fancy wire. I am looking for a source of the gold RCAs on phenolic backing, does anyone know where I can find them? Last pic is of my other Bozak.

Old 10-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Great pics! Thanks for sharing, keep us updated with the progress.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:20 AM

hard to verify

But, as long as it sounds great, enjoy it. Could be from Garage who knows?

About recapping, Black Gates will not sound as warm as the frako caps you replace.

Speak to a competent person who knows what high quality caps will maintain that type of warm, oomphy, clear, yet velvety sonic character.

The dark brown AB carbon composition resistors on the board also contribute to the sound, as well as the the pots, transistors, and circuit design.

Resistors DO NOT go bad, they work or they don';t, so DO NOT replacer dark brown resistors UNLESS you must.

Im thinking you might look into 2 or 4 Paper In Oil caps for the spot in circuit, for that certain tone. Vintage Siemans, or Sprague.

Call a parts house, like hndme.com, ask questions, tell what you have, pester them, then after education and research, make purchases and be happy. Also google will turn up lots of boutique parts places.

PM me, Ill tell u which places are good which arent. Example, stay away from welbornelabs,.com
Old 10-12-2008, 09:41 AM

IF u can........

Buzzy Beck would have to be the best authority on selection of parts to maintain Bozak tone. after all.....

A story among audio old timers, Rudy Bozak, in the 1950,s built highly acclaimed speakers.

Rumour has it an audio aficianado got a pair old old Bozak Concert grands, or whatever, and was dissapointed to find the cabinets were built of typical cheaper plywood, and the walls flexed during demanding bass passages, contributing distortion to sound. OH THE HORROR, right?

Well old timers say that IF the boxes flexed, Ol Rudy knew about it, and left it alone for a reason.

Paul W. Klipsch also built his K Horns out ordinary local hardware store plywood. He felt the boxes sounded better unlike todays completely rigid, resonance free materials like MDF!

Apparently, Richard Long also did some of this as well. Some of his cabinets were made of baltic birch, some from cheapish plywood. My J Horns are made of this stuff. I thought, NOOOOO I want 13 ply, void free, Finland baltic Birch. Shorty kept telling NOPE, theres a reason it was done this way, I said, YEAH, THEY WERE CHEEEEEEEP! NOPE! The flex gives the box that sound.

Disco Chuck, who built my additional pair, came down this summer, and I asked him, he said yeah, they did it, and he does it with certain boxes if you use materials that are too rigid like the highest quality grades of wood, they don't roar, and rumble the same Price and weight are affected. But costs weren't issues for me, I thought I knew it all, I didn't and don't.

Smart person asks ALOT of questions, first.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:12 PM

I recaped my other Bozak with Black Gates and it sounds super warm and detailed. I agree that the Frako caps sound great, but they are really old and a lot of them have failed and been replaced throughout the years. I am not replacing any film caps.

Don't worry about me replacing carbon comp resistors with anything but carbon comp, I am a big fan of their sound. I will look into the paper and oil, that sounds interesting.

I have restored several tube amps, vintage guitar amps, guitars and Klipsch speakers. I have been around the block a few times.

Last edited by Mr ZDUR : 10-12-2008 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 04:22 PM

So you know? Cool, cause people do things, myself included, its better, but now you LOST what you had.

Another recommendation, THIS WILL MATE in the Bozak, signal path capacitors, 2 Jupiter paper in beeswax capacitors. Replace two film caps in the signal path, near outputs, so all signal goes through them, being careful to keep these caps from being near voltage regulators that get hot, or any components that gets hot, pf value caps, and THIS you WILL LOVE!

New product made the way they made them when, Kraft paper, special foil, and beeswax in natural heavy ga paper\.cardboard style outer casing.

Clear, lucid, and lush, and very non edgy, yet not fuzzy or muddled. Fluid sound.

THIS is GOOD STUFF!
Old 10-12-2008, 05:32 PM

Damn you guys are smart. When I save some more pennies I am calling one of you to buy a Bozak. I want one with the A/B switch and dont want to have to do a thing but plug it in and mix with it
Old 10-12-2008, 11:57 PM

Wow, thanks Scott, that sounds great. All of this is very reversible and easy to do because of the Bozak design. Those suckers ar expensive, but worth a shot.