Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2008, 01:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Question Stereo R.I.P?

Well, three months after the fire still no progress on the afterhours room.. the bar has been open for a while and has recently started the after 8 sessions which begin at 8am.. but I believe we've seen the end of Stereo as we knew it.

The main room is in limbo and the future of the club uncertain. Over 1.2 million in crushing debt load, arson investigation still pending, deep pocket investor D.Morales walking away from the ownership role?

What's next for Stereo Montreal? No one knows.. There are no more afterhours licenses being approved in the city. The only thing Stereo has of value is the system and that license. Even with the name "Stereo" and the great sound system, it isn't much of a viable investment for this uncertain economic period.

I'll keep you up to date as the lack of progress takes us through the tenth anniversary of Stereo.. sad day in club land for the city of Montréal and all the others that place influenced.

I still have my great memories but it hurts to see it finish like this.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:53 PM

thats terrible news charles i hope the system stays in montreal and gets used in some other venue even if its not afterhours and i hope david doesnt give up on it i know he loved it very much

it would be a shame if it didnt open up again

keep us posted

peas

even just a name a soundsystem is all it needs really the artists that played on that system knew it was something special and thats why it worked plus the ppl in montreal really knew what was up
Old 10-09-2008, 10:33 PM

i think that a great room in bad economic times could actually flourish...

if the costs to patrons are kept modest...
and excellent value is provided, a complete package if you will....

great sound, great customer service, great crowd...

people need to escape more than ever when times are tight...

(that is quite the debt to service though, i agree)

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 10-09-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 04:41 AM

Send a message via MSN to NeverObsolete Send a message via Yahoo to NeverObsolete
Living in the North Country of New York, Stereo was as close as I could get to what I expect from a club when I have been tainted by clubbing in NYC. I will surely miss that room. Now my trips will be 7hours plus get immerse in the music.

Sad Day....at least for me....
Old 10-10-2008, 05:54 PM

who knows..

I heard that November will be the re-opening.. we will see. One of the owners said yesterday that it will re-open in November. I hope so..
Old 10-11-2008, 04:37 AM

A fantastic point. In times of serous distress, people want to go someplace and get away. This is actually a guiding principal for why great spaces like the saint and the garage were created. A secret little "heaven on earth" Lets hope that at least that comes of the current nightmare. My fingers are crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
i think that a great room in bad economic times could actually flourish...

if the costs to patrons are kept modest...
and excellent value is provided, a complete package if you will....

great sound, great customer service, great crowd...

people need to escape more than ever when times are tight...

(that is quite the debt to service though, i agree)
Old 10-11-2008, 03:58 PM

I would agree to that economic troubles contribute to good subculture and in particular dance music.. it kinda sucks that the economy needs to be shite to get some good vibe going. funny how the same sentiment and opinion seems to be everywhere though.. I just hope everything gets better
Old 10-11-2008, 04:04 PM

From what i just was

told, they sold the bar, and part of the deal was the after hours club, STEREO cannot open, dont know if it is tru, but thats what i heard this mornin
Old 10-11-2008, 05:37 PM

weird times..

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
told, they sold the bar, and part of the deal was the after hours club, STEREO cannot open, dont know if it is tru, but thats what i heard this mornin

Everyone says it's time to stick a fork in it.. then I hear November?? Who knows, they may reopen. It would surprise me if they did though..
Old 10-11-2008, 06:28 PM

Nah

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
Everyone says it's time to stick a fork in it.. then I hear November?? Who knows, they may reopen. It would surprise me if they did though..

I heard the sale went thru this week
Old 10-12-2008, 10:26 AM

IMO, SterEO, is over. Unless they went for the money to bring in the only sound designer that can create " THE STEREO SOUND " it's over for them.

Stereo wasn't only about having great sound, it was ALL ABOUT " THE STEREO SOUND "!

The magic was in the unique sound, that ONLY STEREO had, as well as other bygone legendary clubs, the ones talked about here, and EVEN IF you puut in modern SOTA sound, and IT DOES SOUND GOOD? Won';t work! IT WOULD HAVE TO BE " THE STEREO SOUND "!

Thats what made it work, and mostly, this sound is almost a lost and forgotten art!

It can be done, he knows he can do it, but, with todays inflation and economy? FUCKING INSANE COST!

But, clubland could use a great Entrpreneur, and Impressario, instead of stone cold business people.

How do you pay the bills?

Ahh, fuck it, the girl with the purple pubes gets in free, but ya gotta show to go. turn around baby, show the 1000 people online too!

Step right up, don't miss this, it may never happen again, The GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!

A REAL club has 1 owner like a P.T. Barnum type, the 2nd guy is invisible, paying bills, balancing books, and managing funds, banking, taxes, etc.

BUT, Without a SHOWMAN U ain;t got it!

Last edited by clubman5 : 10-12-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:44 PM

I fear you are right sir..

Stereo's sound was it's driving factor. Touched a whole lot of people in it's wake. If something like this gets built again count me in on the process, it was a great ride. I miss those Sunday afternoons with Shorty and everyone else dancing to classics and hearing her system sing.. The Nitelife, that's where I want to be

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
IMO, SterEO, is over. Unless they went for the money to bring in the only sound designer that can create " THE STEREO SOUND " it's over for them.

Stereo wasn't only about having great sound, it was ALL ABOUT " THE STEREO SOUND "!

The magic was in the unique sound, that ONLY STEREO had, as well as other bygone legendary clubs, the ones talked about here, and EVEN IF you puut in modern SOTA sound, and IT DOES SOUND GOOD? Won';t work! IT WOULD HAVE TO BE " THE STEREO SOUND "!

Thats what made it work, and mostly, this sound is almost a lost and forgotten art!

It can be done, he knows he can do it, but, with todays inflation and economy? FUCKING INSANE COST!

But, clubland could use a great Entrpreneur, and Impressario, instead of stone cold business people.

How do you pay the bills?

Ahh, fuck it, the girl with the purple pubes gets in free, but ya gotta show to go. turn around baby, show the 1000 people online too!

Step right up, don't miss this, it may never happen again, The GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH!

A REAL club has 1 owner like a P.T. Barnum type, the 2nd guy is invisible, paying bills, balancing books, and managing funds, banking, taxes, etc.

BUT, Without a SHOWMAN U ain;t got it!