Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2008, 01:32 AM

Good reading info here:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/7359929/Ma...of-Acoustics-F

http://www.scribd.com/doc/6491492/So...ok-Davis-Jones

This looks like a good tool to use.....trial version free for 30 days:

http://www.acourate.com/#DOWNLOAD
Old 12-11-2008, 08:01 AM

Hey man, you don't actually think anyone here's going to go to the bother of studying academic texts do you? That would get in the way of just posting photos of bling and discussing how ‘creamy and warm’ their business associate’s hardware sounds

But seriously, you’ve done your research here. Everest is an author of many a sacred text. Studying the works of someone like Everest will yield you real, audible and measurable improvements. And how much does the book cost? Buy a paper copy. It’s important to support the publishers of these books. Spending a couple of years of your time researching a book has to be paid for (unless you’re a lottery winner). I don’t begrudge Everest a royalty (in this case his family as the man passed away a couple of years back).

For what you pay, the empowerment of comprehending the theory outlined in books such as these is beyond that which any hardware purchase will give you.

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak

Last edited by thermionic : 12-11-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 AM

surely the books cant be that good if they dont reference mit cables, lol. I own the yamaha book and have had a chance to read part of the acoustic handbook. i think I learned more reading the yammy book than working in the field for 3 years, although my version was written on the cusp of dsp.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:32 AM

Yup, good stuff, thanks for posting them up, I too have the Yamaha book on the shelf as well as others.

There's so much more to designing a sound install that getting big speakers and electronics. Few "installers" today know even half of what they need to about acoustics but manage to talk the talk. I see so many improper installations done by big name installers that I'm asked to fix after they've done their install.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:45 AM

I also own the Yamaha book. It has been a great help over the years answering many of my questions and concerns. I haven't read the Acoustics Handbook though. That one is on the reading list!
Old 12-11-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
Yup, good stuff, thanks for posting them up, I too have the Yamaha book on the shelf as well as others.

There's so much more to designing a sound install that getting big speakers and electronics. Few "installers" today know even half of what they need to about acoustics but manage to talk the talk. I see so many improper installations done by big name installers that I'm asked to fix after they've done their install.

A couple of years back I was speaking to a well known producer. I told him that acoustics are by far the most important aspect to sound quality. He started rolling around laughing... I asked why, to which he replied 'you make your living from audio electronics, why are you telling me that?'. Well, I wasn't going to lie, was I?

If your acoustics are poor, you could have the best signal chain in the world and it will still sound terrible.

Isn't it funny how this board is so fixated with hardware, yet you never see the topic of acoustics discussed?

Acousticians are the overlords of the audio industry. The one I would recommend charges £1,200 GBP per day (ex. vat). (near to $2,000 USD).

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak
Old 12-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Yeah, thereís good money as an acoustical engineer. Al Fierstein does good business these days in sound control and going to court as a consultant.

Iím amazed at how little most people know about sound control. Insulation stuffed ceiling hollow spaces yet they still have noise complaints from neighboring apartments.

A few years ago, I had the honor and pleasure to work with The New York City Nightlife Association and the help re-write NYCís current sound code violations more in favor of clubs allowing them time to fix the cause of violations.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:32 PM

I don't know if anyone else on the board will bother to read through the text but I don't see any harm in putting the information out there for cats to read. It might even inspire a few to buy the books for some serious reading

I picked up the Yamaha book a couple of years back and the Everest book was given as a gift. The Everest book is my favorite read.......looking up and around the room and trying to figure out the how/why/when the space effects the sound and its response............shit be buggin me out at times!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:39 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic

If your acoustics are poor, you could have the best signal chain in the world and it will still sound terrible.

Ain't that the truth
Old 12-11-2008, 08:53 PM

i think 90% of a good install is in the acoustics of the space and not the components and how good they are im not saying that the best of the best doesnt sound good but in a big space with no treatment it doesnt make much difference if all you hear is reflected delayed waves of sound

acoustics is someting i aim to study on my own as i know very little about it and i think its the biggest single component that needs the most attention in any install

peas
Old 12-11-2008, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermionic
A couple of years back I was speaking to a well known producer. I told him that acoustics are by far the most important aspect to sound quality. He started rolling around laughing... I asked why, to which he replied 'you make your living from audio electronics, why are you telling me that?'. Well, I wasn't going to lie, was I?

Isn't it funny how this board is so fixated with hardware, yet you never see the topic of acoustics discussed?

Acousticians are the overlords of the audio industry. The one I would recommend charges £1,200 GBP per day (ex. vat). (near to $2,000 USD).

Which is why high quality headphones hold such a special place in my heart ;-)