About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Techtalk is on timeout forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104

I'm on the right. Why the sunglasses? Don't know actually, just how we roll' late night in Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacks
i know i had no part in this riff raff, but POST A FLICK OF YOUR SELF. sometimes its good to put a name with a face.

see, i'm a happy individual
Old 11-30-2009, 09:26 PM

I would like to put it out there, if moderating only involves a couple of hours max a day, I would be happy to help out and being in Australia I keep completely different hours to you US guys so I could fill the gaps Scott is sleeping (if he does sleep that is, sounds like a busy man)
Old 12-01-2009, 03:05 PM

Most of the "knowledge" I have now, I got it from this forum. It's actually the first & only place I met people sharing the same passion as me, as passionate as I am. It's a goldmine of information for passionate & curious people.
Thanks everyone for that & thanks to the Admins to make it possible.

Lately I felt that some discussions have turned into some dirty viral marketing to promote this or that product vs. this or that one. Shit happens, but my feeling is that most people here are clever enough to read through the lines and make their own opinion.

Some discussions are maybe extreme or biased sometimes but it would be the same if we would all be sitting in a bar. Well maybe not, I guess this would be even worst Anyway if there are people open for a couple beer in Berlin, I'm in.

Happy holiday everyone.
Guillaume

Old 12-02-2009, 02:53 AM

Thanks for taking the time to clean it up. the drama has kept me away for over a year.
Old 12-02-2009, 05:16 PM

The timeout happened because the moderators were out to lunch and then want to pretend it was everyone else's fault and not their own for one of the threads going very very bad. It was one dope and some lazy mods that resulted in it. A time out sounds like they're running a preschool or daycare here. There are plenty of other forums out there.

https://www.bpmsupreme.com/newyearne...?ref=5-mKSlxcx
Old 12-03-2009, 06:30 PM

Haha, i always did wonder where all the mods were.

I do have to admit they were late on this subject.
Old 12-03-2009, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nox
Haha, i always did wonder where all the mods were.

I do have to admit they were late on this subject.

Late? Ha! Thats the understatement of the year. More like Scott was completely missing in action LOL

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 12-04-2009, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Late? Ha! Thats the understatement of the year. More like Scott was completely missing in action LOL
So did he ignore his duties as a mod?

I'm just seriously wondering. This kiddy fight could have been stopped a long time ago, yet we let it on until the peak.

Just my input.
Old 12-04-2009, 03:40 AM

As moderating this forum isn’t Scott’s full time job I’m sure from time to time he is going to be away from his computer working or on holiday, so I don’t think he is to blame for what was said or for the fact that it went on unchecked as we should be behaving our selves like the adults we are suppose to be.
Moderators are giving up their spare time to do this work and I just don’t think we can expect them to always be on the ball!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
As moderating this forum isn’t Scott’s full time job I’m sure from time to time he is going to be away from his computer working or on holiday, so I don’t think he is to blame for what was said or for the fact that it went on unchecked as we should be behaving our selves like the adults we are suppose to be.
Moderators are giving up their spare time to do this work and I just don’t think we can expect them to always be on the ball!!!

With that said, YOU still want the job!
Old 12-04-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K

Kieren, come on man, I like you and I respect you but you know as well as I do that's a total load of crap. Scott missed it the first day, ok fine it happens...I get that. But 2, 3, 4 days later and the mod still isn't anywhere to be found? Thats just plain not doing his job. A job HE accepted.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 12-05-2009, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Kieren, come on man, I like you and I respect you but you know as well as I do that's a total load of crap. Scott missed it the first day, ok fine it happens...I get that. But 2, 3, 4 days later and the mod still isn't anywhere to be found? Thats just plain not doing his job. A job HE accepted.

Keep in mind it's a 'free' forum, so his job is more like free help than anything else. I would not expect the guy to be 24x7 on his computer ... Don't tell me you would be checking the forum daily if you were on holiday ... would you ?

I think some people are looking for somemone to blame, an easy target, when really they shouldn't have written what they wrote in the first place ! Some people should seriously grow up ...
Old 12-05-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned

Geez, R.I.F.

This time out isn't because of what I wrote. Go back to the beginning and re-read the fisrt post. I was banned for my actions, so those of you that would like to point your finger in my direction, continue to do so. This time out happened due to other circumstances. You might not be able to post, but you sure can READ! Try it sometimes, you might actually like it.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:25 PM

I'm with Marcellus on this one. The feud could have been prevented, but it wasn't because this forum was lacking an active moderator.

The past is the past, i just hope the mods and admins learned and i'm probably being direct on this but , it wasn't our fault, but the mods theirs for not moderating.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:55 PM

This is my very first post and I feel because of all the turmoil going on it is time for me to express my opinion. I have been active behind the scenes of this forum for over 8 years. One of the main reasons I do not post is because of situations and unnecessary drama that has evolved over the years like we just recently have seen. I have answered many questions and posted replies or technical information through several reliable members here and never had a problem giving other people credit for the knowledge I shared with the Wave members. I am sure most members have heard the statement that “There is no Me in the word Team”. Until my retirement from sound and lighting in 1999 I was use to several members of our design and technical staff accelerating, but we still all worked together as a team. I understand we have worldwide economic problems and some people who still make their living from audio products and installs need to promote their products or companies, but it should not be at the expense of others. This is the reason why I am appalled lately by the writings and actions of some of the board members here on Wave. These are my observations and opinions and no one company or person is being singled out or put to blame. You may or may not agree but let’s just say “if the shoe fits wear it”. First off Wave Tech Talk until recently was a very good and usually reliable source for all sorts of technical information. Early on many people provided the forums with helpful repair information, technical knowledge and specifications, as well as funny yet informative antidotes. Over the years it has become more one sided and not because of any particular product or person. I noticed that comments were becoming non corrective criticism and more in the lines of individual attacks and attitudes of “if you do not agree with me then you are wrong”. It further developed into a more opinionated and not so much factual forum that began attacking products and persons. One side being 100% correct whether you like it or not, and if you did not agree then you were wrong. People who had nothing to do with the development or even owning the product being discussed became gurus and knew every in and out about whatever it was. I even read posts where somebody agreed with a person 100% yet the person they were agreeing with still came back at them with negative comments. It is all about being adults and controlling our attitudes. Secondly as far as the moderator being asleep I think should be addressed an analyzed. The moderator’s job should be to intervene when a normal problem arises and not be a referee per say. The posts should not get out of hand if the people making comments respond as mature adults and not 2nd or 3rd graders as we all have seen lately. I do not care who the moderator is, it should not be his or her job to be a censor, referee, or watchdog to irresponsible people who act like children. Even in a properly taught 2nd or 3rd grade class the teacher could leave the room for a period of time and it will not get out of control. I have watched several post even attached to this “Timeout” thread where a person apologizes for their individual actions and state that we need to act like mature adults and not throw mud at each other etc. Then in the very next sentence of their post they will blame someone, something, some country, etc. for causing the problems. Now they not only want to attack products and persons they want to add different countries and demographics against each other. Because I am a war veteran myself I find no amusement in trying to put friendly countries or people against each other. How far will someone go to stir up a problem, and where and when will they stop? As a young man in the 1950s I was taught “If you can’t say something nice then don’t say anything at all”. This does not mean you should not respond to things you do not agree with, but do it in a professional and responsible way. Third off over the years WAVE board members have become younger and many new ideas have been brought to the table that do help us. However the attitude that “if it works on paper for me it is going to be correctly and I am right” needs to be addressed. Nobel Prize winners and even people like Einstein are not correct 100% of the time. Many things over the years that did not work on paper later became life saving and entertainment items to mankind. The Polio Vaccine was a byproduct of a paper mistake, as was Super Glue, Crazy Putty etc…. Today as I write this a new major breakthrough in Cancer Treatment is being developed that was plainly a byproduct of a paper mistake. We all need to keep open minds to new ideas even when you feel it may not look correct to you. Let idea’s both young and old be considered with an open mind and not locked out because you may not understand it or are opinionated. No individuals should have the right to take a professional forum and try to turn it into a one way street. And finally let’s diagnose the meaning of the word “Timeout”. Here is the perfect example of how age difference can be a problem when you do not have an open mind. “Timeout” to the older generation like myself pretty much means Pause, Stop for a second, Reconsider, or Reevaluate. The word “Timeout” has evolved with the younger generation as a punishment to a child for bad behavior. Both are acceptable but I think you can see how different age groups look at the meaning of certain words in different perspectives. To some they looked at this “Timeout” as child punishment yet to others it is a chance we need to pause and correct a problem. I saw a post awhile back that contained a funny little picture on a plaque that said “Be Sure Brain Is Engaged before Putting Mouth into Gear.” We all need to consider our actions before we cause or create problems for other people. There was a recent post also with a picture attached to it that read something like “even if you win the Special Olympics your still a retard”. If your mentality is that of a young child then you may find this funny or amusing, but it is not such a laugh if you are the parent or person that helped raise a handicapped child or autistic person. Just try and realize what a better World we could all help create if we just think first before we speak or act. Thanks for this chance to express my opinion.
Old 12-05-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy
This is my very first post and I feel because of all the turmoil going on it is time for me to express my opinion. I have been active behind the scenes of this forum for over 8 years. One of the main reasons I do not post is because of situations and unnecessary drama that has evolved over the years like we just recently have seen. I have answered many questions and posted replies or technical information through several reliable members here and never had a problem giving other people credit for the knowledge I shared with the Wave members. I am sure most members have heard the statement that “There is no Me in the word Team”. Until my retirement from sound and lighting in 1999 I was use to several members of our design and technical staff accelerating, but we still all worked together as a team. I understand we have worldwide economic problems and some people who still make their living from audio products and installs need to promote their products or companies, but it should not be at the expense of others. This is the reason why I am appalled lately by the writings and actions of some of the board members here on Wave. These are my observations and opinions and no one company or person is being singled out or put to blame. You may or may not agree but let’s just say “if the shoe fits wear it”. First off Wave Tech Talk until recently was a very good and usually reliable source for all sorts of technical information. Early on many people provided the forums with helpful repair information, technical knowledge and specifications, as well as funny yet informative antidotes. Over the years it has become more one sided and not because of any particular product or person. I noticed that comments were becoming non corrective criticism and more in the lines of individual attacks and attitudes of “if you do not agree with me then you are wrong”. It further developed into a more opinionated and not so much factual forum that began attacking products and persons. One side being 100% correct whether you like it or not, and if you did not agree then you were wrong. People who had nothing to do with the development or even owning the product being discussed became gurus and knew every in and out about whatever it was. I even read posts where somebody agreed with a person 100% yet the person they were agreeing with still came back at them with negative comments. It is all about being adults and controlling our attitudes. Secondly as far as the moderator being asleep I think should be addressed an analyzed. The moderator’s job should be to intervene when a normal problem arises and not be a referee per say. The posts should not get out of hand if the people making comments respond as mature adults and not 2nd or 3rd graders as we all have seen lately. I do not care who the moderator is, it should not be his or her job to be a censor, referee, or watchdog to irresponsible people who act like children. Even in a properly taught 2nd or 3rd grade class the teacher could leave the room for a period of time and it will not get out of control. I have watched several post even attached to this “Timeout” thread where a person apologizes for their individual actions and state that we need to act like mature adults and not throw mud at each other etc. Then in the very next sentence of their post they will blame someone, something, some country, etc. for causing the problems. Now they not only want to attack products and persons they want to add different countries and demographics against each other. Because I am a war veteran myself I find no amusement in trying to put friendly countries or people against each other. How far will someone go to stir up a problem, and where and when will they stop? As a young man in the 1950s I was taught “If you can’t say something nice then don’t say anything at all”. This does not mean you should not respond to things you do not agree with, but do it in a professional and responsible way. Third off over the years WAVE board members have become younger and many new ideas have been brought to the table that do help us. However the attitude that “if it works on paper for me it is going to be correctly and I am right” needs to be addressed. Nobel Prize winners and even people like Einstein are not correct 100% of the time. Many things over the years that did not work on paper later became life saving and entertainment items to mankind. The Polio Vaccine was a byproduct of a paper mistake, as was Super Glue, Crazy Putty etc…. Today as I write this a new major breakthrough in Cancer Treatment is being developed that was plainly a byproduct of a paper mistake. We all need to keep open minds to new ideas even when you feel it may not look correct to you. Let idea’s both young and old be considered with an open mind and not locked out because you may not understand it or are opinionated. No individuals should have the right to take a professional forum and try to turn it into a one way street. And finally let’s diagnose the meaning of the word “Timeout”. Here is the perfect example of how age difference can be a problem when you do not have an open mind. “Timeout” to the older generation like myself pretty much means Pause, Stop for a second, Reconsider, or Reevaluate. The word “Timeout” has evolved with the younger generation as a punishment to a child for bad behavior. Both are acceptable but I think you can see how different age groups look at the meaning of certain words in different perspectives. To some they looked at this “Timeout” as child punishment yet to others it is a chance we need to pause and correct a problem. I saw a post awhile back that contained a funny little picture on a plaque that said “Be Sure Brain Is Engaged before Putting Mouth into Gear.” We all need to consider our actions before we cause or create problems for other people. There was a recent post also with a picture attached to it that read something like “even if you win the Special Olympics your still a retard”. If your mentality is that of a young child then you may find this funny or amusing, but it is not such a laugh if you are the parent or person that helped raise a handicapped child or autistic person. Just try and realize what a better World we could all help create if we just think first before we speak or act. Thanks for this chance to express my opinion.

As a request, please show where someone "Apologized for their individual actions, then in the very next sentence of their post they blame someone, something, some country, etc. for causing the problems." Also this one "Now they not only want to attack products and persons, they want to add diferent countries and demographics against each other." Please point this out, as you see Mr. Buzzy, you don't have to be a 2nd or 3rd grader to see things that are not there...R.I.F. They teach that in kindergarten and 1st grade.
"How far will someone go to stir up a problem, and where and when will they stop?" How about asking your BUDDY the next time you two are working on a mixer and letting us know.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:05 AM

I have a question not at all about audio but web design is anybody into web design as well as audio I have a question on how one adds a forum onto there web sight ?????
Old 12-06-2009, 05:18 AM

I figured I would ask since there is no audio talk going on for the 99.9 % of us that are on time out for something we had nothing to do with !!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzy
This is my very first post and I feel because of all the turmoil going on it is time for me to express my opinion.....

Thanks for this chance to express my opinion.

welcome aboard Buzzy! Sorry it had to be under these circumstances.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVDEEP
I have a question not at all about audio but web design is anybody into web design as well as audio I have a question on how one adds a forum onto there web sight ?????
Vbulletin software seems to be amongst the most popular forum software packages.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellus

.......you don't have to be a 2nd or 3rd grader to see things that are not there...R.I.F. They teach that in kindergarten and 1st grade.

to me, this (differentiating b/t what is there, and what someone may say out loud) seems like a critical thinking skill that's not taught in that stage of elementary school....

Last edited by Mistick Krewe : 12-06-2009 at 08:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistick Krewe
Quote:
Originally Posted by NAVDEEP
Vbulletin software seems to be amongst the most popular forum software packages.

Get phpBB, it's freeware and a good one too... Your website needs to support using php and sql to make most forums work. :-)

I really hope this timeout will be over soon, without the tech-talk section this forum isn't the same it used to be...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:02 AM

I agree with the statements Buzzy made and not because I have had repairs done by him. The amount of knowledge he has shared over the years with this forum could not have a price tag attached to it.
It was professional of him not to point the finger at the people or exact statements made that are creating problems. I kept a copy of the entire discussion that caused this timeout problem before it got deleted and Buzzy is totally correct in saying nobody here was acting like adults. I think the people involved would agree with Buzzy and be ashamed of the way they acted. If you take time and read the posts in this timeout topic I think you will find the answer to the request about people’s apologies Buzzy was referring to. I have seen other posts on Wave where someone created a problem and then edit the post not to show the problem created or deleted the post completely. Another recent post within the last couple of days had a statement in regards to putting the blame on the people in the USA for the problems created here on Wave. It seems to have disappeared also. These may be some of the items Buzzy was referring to. I personally remember where a topic about an external power supply was being discussed. I made a statement agreeing 100% with part of the discussion and had someone through negativity back at me.
I know Buzzy builds mixers for people worldwide so what’s with the “asking your BUDDY” statement? I do not get it. Maybe someone has a problem with a particular person he does work for, but unfortunately he rebuilds mixers and repairs audio components for people on both sides of the fence. Why attack someone you do not even know because they maybe friends or do work for a certain person you may not like or have a personal problem with? Buzzy has never accused or defended any one person here; he only stated his opinions on what is being written on some of these forums. After his welcome he received I doubt he will ever post here again anyway and like it or not that will be a true loss.

Last edited by Captainjr : 12-06-2009 at 09:14 AM.
Old 12-06-2009, 09:44 AM

Amen Buzzy! BTW, thanks for the Bozak parts and the info on how to bias them.
This used to be the go to spot for learning about disco equipment and sharing ideas about sound systems. I would love to be back in the community if it turns into what it used to be; a bunch of audio dorks sharing ideas. I get really turned off by the constant self promotion and fighting between people who sell equipment and install it. This community is big enough for everyone. let's work together and try to make a better world free of distortion!
Old 12-06-2009, 12:56 PM

There's a really easy way to end all the petty fighting and sales trolling once and for all: simply ban subjective opinion, keeping the forum purely for technical and factual discussion. It's really easy. Look up the definition of subjective. It's fun to discuss personal opinions at a pub over a drink, when you have all the complex detail and inflection that human beings can communicate, but on a totally one-dimensional medium such as a message board, where you have about 10% of the human communication mechanisms to go on? That's pure masochism - self-flagellation...

You can learn skills from technical and factual discussions that will yield real benefits to you. What can you learn from reading that member 'x' prefers the sound of isolator 'y'? How does that progress the art of music hardware?

If you want people such as Buzzy (i.e. those with something tangible to contribute, as opposed to a stream of subjectively-based dogma) to post here, then ban the junk yard dog.

BTW - the best kind of moderator would be someone anonymous that's ruthless with the delete button. If it's not informative / educative, delete it (with rare exceptions such as good-natured humour or birthday greetings etc.).

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak