Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-28-2009, 10:20 PM

Diy 1620

Found this trawling the net..unfortunately I don't understand Japanese but it certainly looks interesting! Veroboard gallore lol
http://booth.showcase-jp.com/?cid=56139&page=1

Old 12-29-2009, 01:06 AM

That looks neat.

The face is clean:

Does anyone remember djcafe.com in the late 90s when they used to offer UREI 1620 clones? It kind of came and went with some blurry photos. Always wondered how that all went down.
Old 12-29-2009, 01:55 AM

Can't read Japanese... Use Google Translate...

http://translate.google.com/translat...D1&sl=ja&tl=en
Old 12-29-2009, 10:23 AM

That face looks great David.

This got me thinking...I had the idea to build a better MM phono stage for my 1620LE on veroboard (There seems to be lots of schematics for MM phono stages on the net), replace the output transformers with what the original 1620 used (CineMag) and perhaps beef up the PSU filter caps...
Old 12-29-2009, 10:35 AM

Also does any one else think he placed his regulators way to close to the smoothing caps even if the heat sinks are pointing the other way? Those things get very hot on the 1620

Old 12-29-2009, 05:10 PM
Banned

That looks

real good. Dave Meza, check ya pms.
Old 12-29-2009, 06:33 PM

In like 1981 or 82, I had built a DJ mixer with a clear face, it was cool to look at. It had crossfaders for the mains AND the headphone output so you could preview the mix in the phones eliminating the need for monitors. It also had a monitor output that mirrored the headphone output OR just had the mains in it.

But today, with all the great high quality and feature rich mixers on the market (that have warranties and available factory servicing), why would you want to go through the time, effort and cost of building one?
Old 12-29-2009, 09:15 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbellsound
But today, with all the great high quality and feature rich mixers on the market (that have warranties and available factory servicing), why would you want to go through the time, effort and cost of building one?

there is something so satisfying about building a custom mixer to your exact specs.. and if I could build my own design for less than, say, E&S can do a djr400 for with the same options,

well.. that would be a cool project if I could afford the time and resources.

I would still have a Urei Le, or Rane for the booth, but a custom mixer in the booth that only you can touch, lol.. that's like your baby
Old 12-29-2009, 09:21 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to DjFioreC
My dream is an Urei with gain pots instead of Balance pots for channel, and a stereo equalizer for master.

This is possible only with modding or creating a new(clone) one.
Old 12-29-2009, 10:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjFioreC
My dream is an Urei with gain pots instead of Balance pots for channel...

The pots are the gains. Why would you want to add gains on top of gains? Your ear is a powerful tool if you use it.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpuga1982
The pots are the gains. Why would you want to add gains on top of gains? Your ear is a powerful tool if you use it.

you just couldnt resist lol..

Why would you add love on top of love, lol.. but actually..

I confess to not liking channel gains, if you do the Rane is a great mixer for that.. a new Rane 2016 is tight..

but for me setting up the mixer so there is enough headroom & play on the channel itself to accommodate tracks and sources that have different volumes seems enough. keep it simple

I sometimes do bring up a track on two channels on the Urei Le to boost gain when it's really needed..
Old 12-30-2009, 02:06 AM

Quote:
My dream is an Urei with gain pots instead of Balance pots for channel, and a stereo equalizer for master.

This is possible only with modding or creating a new(clone) one.

Did this a while back. Put in line preamp cards and had the trim/gain pots on the front. Consolidating the EQ is pretty straight forward.

Old 12-30-2009, 05:55 AM

Has Urei 1620 Gain pot for each channel? I think NOT!

So, don't be silly.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Has Urei 1620 Gain pot for each channel? I think NOT!

So, don't be silly.

Excuse me?

It can be done, Dave did it..that pic is not a fake.
I think people wanting gains on each ch on a Urei are for people who never played a Urei as then you will understand it's advantage, what would be more useful is a trim pot out of sight which can already be done with those line cards that have a gain knob on then (Mario G sells them)...then you got your levels fine and dandy and no need for a gain pot on the front...unless you don't understand how the 1620's input fader works which sounds like you don't.
Ok here goes for the 100th time..Unity gain on the 1620 is around the 7 position on the dial..anything over IS GAIN anything under and it works as an attenuator..there fore you HAVE GAIN on EACH channel.
The Rane MP-24 works in the same way as do a lot of older DJ mixers.

The only issue really is having to match your electrics with the 1620 so their output works optimally with the mixer i.e. like Charles sometimes requires more gain from his Denon CD decks wheres the Pioneer CDJ's have a louder out (to my knowledge any way) and I have personally never required more gain from a CDJ on my 1620...also again phono carts, no good giving a 1620 something with like a 12mv output and the same for silly low output carts like 3mv or less as you will have no headroom, max out the gain and have too much noise...the best carts for the 1620 imo are the original Stanton's...680EL mk1 and 681SE's which are no longer made...as a compromise I'm using Ortofon Arkiv's.
And if you wanted a mixer with gains etc as said get a Rane MP-2016...lovely mixer imo, I would go with the original only on the grounds that it looks better and has the better knobs lol

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 12-30-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:58 AM

I already know it can be done, i was talking about an *new* Urei who hasn't gain knob.

Anyway, you're right, i've never played with Urei, so i think that if i have two source with a sensible volume gap on a mixer with no gain knob, it's a problem.

But how you explained to me, something "like" an autogain is intergrated, inside urei.

So, thank you so much for lessons
Old 12-30-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:

I think if you have the time and understanding it can be very rewarding and also if you are a fan of electronics it would be fun to do, I totally understand where you are coming from though but also a lot of people might do it because of lack of cash and with something like this you can do bit by bit and make a really good mixer how you like it...plus you never know you may come up with something fresh that can be mass produced and sell it, I mean look at E&S..I'm sure he's built many home project mixers before he thought I know I have a great idea that can be marketed and sold like the DJR-400..
Old 12-30-2009, 11:42 AM

Agreed. If you have the time, technical know-how, ability and drive, making your own mixer can be rewarding. Pity the poor guy who uses his home grown mixer for an event and it fails during his set.

I kinda agree with the thought that the 1620 would be more useful with a input gain pot rather than a balance pot per channel. On the Rane, it’s used to adjust all the inputs to the same level so when rotary mixing, the mix level knob goes to it’s stop. You wouldn’t need to “remember” where to stop to match the gain. I’ve pretty much never seen a DJ adjust L/R balance in a system during a performance let alone on just one input channel. The balance knobs would better serve the user as input gain controls. This is the reason that pretty much every mixer has input gains today.

When Crest made the 6210, I thought they made a mistake retaining the balance knobs.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:56 AM

I always use the balance controls on the 1620 lol
Especially when I had those sucky Shure M-35X carts where one ch was louder than the other on one cart and the other was different.
I don't want a gain on the 1620 I much prefer the mixer without, to me you don't have to remember where the stop is but you get a feel for where it is..it just sucks getting used to different carts lol now I'm using Ortofons with a louder out I overshoot hahah but I'v pretty much got used with them now
Old 12-30-2009, 12:01 PM

I've pretty much not mixed on any other mixer but the 1620LE for 3 years now since I got it lol
I'm brainwashed by it...hahah
I spent so may years trying to find a mixer for me...the 1620 seems finally to be that one
Hope to have it till the day I die..along with that original 1620 I always want lol
Old 12-30-2009, 02:36 PM

making your own mixer is really fun! being able to totally shape and control the sound and options is rewarding, esp with all the high quality IC (and discrete!) op amps that exist today. it's also cool to have a tool that doesn't do things you don't want it to (witness the balance vs gain knob dispute here), and it is a cheap way to get a rotary that sounds good. on mine the thing i like is it's small enough i can travel with it (i move it around a lot) but it's still rackable (1U 4" deep), and it has a meter and fx loop built in which i like.

paul has a point about reliability, but if you were really serious, you can build and test designs, PCB's aren't soo expensive, and at the end of the day you can bolt everything in there pretty good if you really want to. plus you never have to worry about who will repair it if it breaks lol. still though it's pretty hard to build something as sturdy as what's offered professionally, idk if i would haul mine around if i was getting paid or just save for a djr400.

+1 for mixing with no extra 'gain' knobs, feels much more natural to me with disco and house as long as you set everything up so you won't clip your inputs. it takes practice to get used to though for sure.

those regs look a bit close to those filter caps but most of the heat will be dissipated out the metal back of those ic packages as you point out. maybe they aren't dropping as much voltage as in the actual 1620.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Excuse me?

It can be done, Dave did it..that pic is not a fake.

what would be more useful is a trim pot out of sight which can already be done with those line cards that have a gain knob on then (Mario G sells them)...then you got your levels fine and dandy and no need for a gain pot on the front

But.. that is what Dave Mezza from DUO audio did in the above pic (hi Dave nice stuff as always ) he installed line cards with the gain control for these line cards in the spot of the balance pot (this is a good option, so you don't have to open the mixer to adjust gain) DUO also sells line cards with gain adjust on the card itself. I thought of doing either mod to my Urei Le.. only for digital. BUT, I do use the pan from time to time for effect on accas... & can adjust volume for digital source by bringing it through two channels at the same time..

@ DJFloreC,,, this means, (on the orig. Urei or the Le) cd player (for example) is run through input A, and channels 4,5 are set to that A input.. you bring up both volumes to achieve your gain needed for your source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinylJunkie
Unity gain on the 1620 is around the 7 position on the dial..anything over IS GAIN anything under and it works as an attenuator..there fore you HAVE GAIN on EACH channel.

Actually the original Urei has unity gain at 7.. the newer Le & Rane 2016 use 8 as unity gain I believe.. that's prob. what you meant..

Last edited by charles0322 : 12-30-2009 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322

Actually the original Urei has unity gain at 7.. the newer Le & Rane 2016 use 8 as unity gain I believe.. that's prob. what you meant..

I think you are right...But didn't some one say here that unity gain on the blue velvet pot was at the max position? Think it was mentioned in one of the Rane posts when comparing the 2016 to the 2016A
Old 12-30-2009, 04:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Actually its bad practice on any mixer to tell DJ's to operate at "10". The gain controls are made to allow each rotary fader to be at a common level, not to necessarily run everything at "10", even though many dj's do.

And regarding today's mixers vs. the past, I've stated many times I'd pick a Rane rotary any day for me to play on while DJ'ing, but there isn't a mixer made today that has the drive, headroom or fidelity of a classic Urei or Bozak and if I show up in a club that has a Urei, you know they are serious about sound more so then the atypical club with the Pioneer mixer and a la cart sound system with xxx brand DSP.

Quote:
On the Rane, it’s used to adjust all the inputs to the same level so when rotary mixing, the mix level knob goes to it’s stop. You wouldn’t need to “remember” where to stop to match the gain.

Last edited by atf104 : 12-30-2009 at 04:24 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM

Exactly...unless it's like a DJM/A&H style mixer where unity on it's fader is when fully open aka max and the actual fader doesn't provide any gain although some old skool dj's still like to have them the old way.

Going back to the Rane rotary in the manual is states the input knobs (not the gain pots) for normal play shouldn't be turned all the way up but at around 7
Old 12-30-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinyl_junkie
Going back to the Rane rotary in the manual is states the input knobs (not the gain pots) for normal play shouldn't be turned all the way up but at around 7

That's right. I usually go to 8 on mine though, just to make the gain level and pgm level matches... Don't know why, but it just makes sense to me to do it like that....