Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Banned

Nuff said

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
What year did MoS open?

Richard passed away in 1986.

Whoever had done the original install at MoS, it did become world renowned, and acclaimed.

You are trying to make what point? I know when MOS opened. I know when Mr. Long passed away. I will not argue with you about the rest as this is your "friend", I'll take the words of one Mr. Justin Berkmann.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellus
You are trying to make what point? I know when MOS opened. I know when Mr. Long passed away. I will not argue with you about the rest as this is your "friend", I'll take the words of one Mr. Justin Berkmann.
No argument. Only thing is Richard didn't do MOS, and GSA did.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark andrews
Not quite Richi

To quote Berkman......

The Sound System at Ministry of Sound was designed and installed by Austen Derek and Kenny Powers

Says the same thing on this Bert Bevans page, which I think has maybe been quoted here before, vaguely remember someone saying Dakota Inc was the precursor of GSA but may have that wrong. I'm sure I've said this before but one of the forgotten things about those opening weeks is that they tried to do a Friday gay night, Larry Levan played to a club that was near empty.

http://thedjlist.com/djs/BERT_BEVANS/

"The sound system of the Ministry of Sound in London was designed and installed by Kenny Powers and Austen Derek through Dakota inc. using various Richard Long designed speakers…."
Old 03-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Banned

So...

was Dakota,inc. the name of GSA before it became GSA? Or Dakota,inc had nothing to do with GSA and vice versa????
Old 03-12-2010, 04:13 PM

Austin Derek was Garys partner.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:28 PM
Banned

That did NOT

answer the question? GSA website says they installed the system in 92 then upgraded it in 96. MOS opened in 91, so who installed the ORIGINAL system in there from 91 until 92 when GSA states on their website they installed it? Surely they had a sound system in there when they opened up in 91.
Old 03-12-2010, 04:34 PM

found online....
on Gary's website...
Quote:
Sound and Video Contractor said in April, 1997: "London's world renowned night club, Ministry of Sound, is certainly no exception in the trendsetter department. The often emulated super club recently underwent a major overhaul of its main room furthering Ministry's worldwide status as a benchmark in the entertainment industry." Nodd McDonagh, General Manager of Ministry of Sound, begins, "When we decided to move forward with the new project it was apparent that our system was wrapped in such cloaks of mystery it was difficult for us to determine what was legend and what was fact. Between our technical audio team and GSA, the firm that had designed and installed the original system, we dramatically improved the overall audio quality and reliability of the system."

for what it's worth...
Old 03-13-2010, 03:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder Teji
What ever MOS do they won't get the system sounding like it did when the club first opened it's doors. This is all BS and Hype the original system 1991-93 was one of the best systems I've ever heard, the bass was just sooo tight (you know what I mean if you've heard any original RLA system). There was no distortion just super clean sound and you could comfortably hold a conversation standing right in front of the stacks.

They had tweeter arrays and those huge JBL horns on top of the stacks, trust me the people on here that went to MOS in it's early years can testify to what I'm saying.

I don't care how many Subs they have Quantity does not equal Quality.
If they think their new subs can touch the original Levan Subs they are dreaming.

They ruined everything by tinkering with a perfect set up (which Larry Levan help set up). They messed it all up a long time ago and untill they get a proper audio company in that cares about sound quality they won't acheive the sound the club was famous for back in the day.

Teji

So going by your last paragraph, are you saying that Martin Audio is not a proper audio company? This is despite the Martin Audio system at Fabric being renowned for exceptional sound.

I think if you removed your rose tinted hearing aid, and were able to hear an AB comparison between the original and the new MoS system you would be very surprised by the results.
Old 03-13-2010, 07:12 AM

I have been going to Ministry for years and its never sounded so sweet as it did on Thursday night.

The sound in the box has never been that tight
Old 03-13-2010, 04:34 PM

Smile

I am enjoying the sound in there again, thursday sounded nice. Looking fwd to the 17th/4. That will tell me a lot more.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianc
I am enjoying the sound in there again, thursday sounded nice. Looking fwd to the 17th/4. That will tell me a lot more.

I'm looking forward to the 27th of this month, Derrick May, Osunlade, Theo Parrish.

Will also be there on the 17th too
Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcellus
answer the question? GSA website says they installed the system in 92 then upgraded it in 96. MOS opened in 91, so who installed the ORIGINAL system in there from 91 until 92 when GSA states on their website they installed it? Surely they had a sound system in there when they opened up in 91.

Seems pretty clear from the responses that these were all people who were/are working together so the exact names they were working under at any given time is surely a non-issue. It sounded amazing, and most Londoners had never heard anything remotely close to it at the time. On the Saturdays when it was crowded there were a lot of people standing around looking absolutely stunned, like they couldn't believe what they were hearing. Exciting to hear there's a new NY club in the works.
Old 03-13-2010, 06:54 PM

you know ive never heard the mos system but from what im hearing its very good

ill say this

its not whats installed that counts , its how its setup tuned and run that makes the diference

obviously mos has a tech onsite so im sure they make sure its all good

there are many ways to skin a cat and im sure there are many subs that compare to the power of the bertha(im not talking tone or depth just motor strength) so if 12 21'' drivers sound good(im sure it sounds like an earthquake)
then so be it

my favorite sub of all time is the tsw 124 by turbosound ive never heard anything else like it i just like the shear muscle of that cabinet

betha/levans have a distict sound and its def a hifi type bass on a big level but sometimes you need that extra oumph to push the new sounds

not to say that a betha with new drivers that can handle the transients of dubstep or electro would be a bad thing and i know many people have done this with dif types of drivers

its obvious that mos want to be the biggest ship on the ocean and they def have the power in those subs

peas
Old 03-13-2010, 08:42 PM

Fred, that was well said, and I will agree with you.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to Ravinder Teji
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenk
So going by your last paragraph, are you saying that Martin Audio is not a proper audio company? This is despite the Martin Audio system at Fabric being renowned for exceptional sound.

I think if you removed your rose tinted hearing aid, and were able to hear an AB comparison between the original and the new MoS system you would be very surprised by the results.

Did you hear the Original MOS system between 1991-1992

Why would I be very surprised?
Are you saying the system in there now sounds better than the original sytem?

I don't care if the the new system sounds better than most of systems in clubs today because IMO no clubs in the UK at least come close to that RLA sound that MOS, Paradise Garage, Sound Factory, Zanzibar had.

When MOS does sound that good again please let me know.

As far as the system at fabric is concerned it isn't a patch on the original MOS system. The Standard for me is Paradise Gararage, Original Sound Factory, Original MOS and Zanzibar those systems were world reknowned, Fabric is not even the same league as those clubs.

Rose tinted hearing aid? I don't think so I've heard proper systems mate and my standards of what I consider to be good sound is different to yours obviously.

If Martin Audio is as good as RLA etc why can't they make their systems sound as good Paradise Garage?

MOS need to get people like Gary Stewart and Kenny Powers back in to sort out the sound and have a GOOD sound engineer look after the system like they used to.

Teji

Available For Bookings
To send me new tracks for the radio show email at ravinder.teji@ntlworld.com
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravinder Teji
Did you hear the Original MOS system between 1991-1992

Why would I be very surprised?
Are you saying the system in there now sounds better than the original sytem?

I don't care if the the new system sounds better than most of systems in clubs today because IMO no clubs in the UK at least come close to that RLA sound that MOS, Paradise Garage, Sound Factory, Zanzibar had.

When MOS does sound that good again please let me know.

As far as the system at fabric is concerned it isn't a patch on the original MOS system. The Standard for me is Paradise Gararage, Original Sound Factory, Original MOS and Zanzibar those systems were world reknowned, Fabric is not even the same league as those clubs.

Rose tinted hearing aid? I don't think so I've heard proper systems mate and my standards of what I consider to be good sound is different to yours obviously.

If Martin Audio is as good as RLA etc why can't they make their systems sound as good Paradise Garage?

MOS need to get people like Gary Stewart and Kenny Powers back in to sort out the sound and have a GOOD sound engineer look after the system like they used to.

Teji

Although I never witnessed/experienced the Paradise Garage system (I was too young)... I did attend and was a member of the original Sound Factory on 27th Street. Now, I did go to LimeLight, Palladium, various raves and even MOS... Nothing compared to the RAW analog feel of the Sound Factory system. I am no Junior Vasquez fan these days... but around 92-94... the bitch was on fire.
I think that for some reason, every era has its club/dj/sound system cemented in dance music history. The new kids like Fabric's sound, and old-school heads fantasize about the Garage.
I know Steve Dash is all digital now, but I think his analog Sound Factory system sounded better than his digital Twilo rig. Even his Sound Factory Bar's JBL rig was superb (to many current systems) when Frankie Knuckles played friday nights (and wednesdays with Vega).
Old 03-15-2010, 05:00 PM

Old 03-15-2010, 05:49 PM

Kind of funny how you guys have a BETTER sounding rig, but need to keep the LOOK of the LEVAN horns.

Nice booth, enough gear to outfit 3 clubs nicely.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:03 PM

Nice DJM-800

Wish they would get rid of those Mk5G's they got there...
Nice clean install though there Mark...and they don't have 1000 mixers any more lol
Remember when the main booth had like a 1620, MP24, MP44 and MP2016 all in at the same time

Actually there we go lol Think this was taken around 2002 late 2001..I'm sure every one knows this pic

Old 03-15-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Kind of funny how you guys have a BETTER sounding rig, but need to keep the LOOK of the LEVAN horns.

Not really, they wanted to keep the club looking the way it always has but at the same time improve the sound!

Quote:
Nice booth, enough gear to outfit 3 clubs nicely.

Or maybe just enough gear for when people like SOS play there???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvSdN6uuQpg
Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM

OK!

Just let the speakers in the box dictate the sonics for a bit. It gets old FIGHTING it with the written word, after a while.

Nice booth!
Old 03-15-2010, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mg75
I think his analog Sound Factory system sounded better than his digital Twilo rig. Even his Sound Factory Bar's JBL rig was superb (to many current systems) when Frankie Knuckles played friday nights (and wednesdays with Vega).

Totally agree, although I didn't go to Twilo too many times. Weird to think it was Frankie Knuckles who opened there, the final curtain call of an era in retrospect.
Old 03-15-2010, 11:23 PM

Yum Yum Yum

F
Freelance FOH/Monitor/System Tech/Stage Manager/
Stagehand Lead/Production Coordinator/Sound Enthusiast/Speaker Design

www.facebook.com/nathanshort
Old 03-16-2010, 12:08 AM

Is that two DJM-800s?

My SoundCloud
Old 03-16-2010, 03:41 PM

F&%k the booth look at those stacks!