Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2006, 08:12 PM

Like seeing our famous Members in print

I dont know about the rest of you but I kind of like seeing things about other members in print. Makes be feel like I really am talking with some of the industry leaders in Audio Technology and Design.

And I personally dont mind the self promotion. If I put in a system like that god knows, I would want to brag about it as well

I would have posted this on the Forum but the thread is closed, guess Scott is having a bad day today.

(Luv Latins gives Scott a nice big HUG)

James
Old 02-16-2006, 08:32 PM

The self promotion aspect is fine, I have no problem with it, BUT, there needs to be a description of said systems in the posts as well.

List the amps, drivers, electronics, etc! You dont need to divulge your little secrets and tricks that make it work a certain way, however, contractor/installers posts should also tell a little bit about the system, and the gear being used.

I get tired of just reading cut and pasted posts from other websites about how good it is, without seeing what was used!

When you read advertisements, or reveiw in trade rags about SOTA systems they do describe sound quality, as well as tell you about the devices used, and the latest refinements to gear, that contribute to whatever attributes the sound has!

Its ok to talk and show off what your are doing or have done, but I want some shop talk included with the program.

Thank you.
Old 02-16-2006, 08:49 PM

I also agree with James. The post should not have been closed! I feel that its sound system related. Gary deserve credit for a great system! And anyone else that should do a custom job like that should be proud of there work and be able to share it with his friends on this board! Anyone on this board could tell what the major equipment that was used at Zouk from the pics! If you need to put it in black and white then those people shouldnt be members! And trust me I dont know everything or claim to! I ask alot of member questions when im doing a project or just playin in my studio! Im not just taking Gary side because its Gary I would feel the same if it was anyone that did a system like that. If Danny T. gave Zouks system the THUMBS UP then i dont even have to hear it and know it sounds awesome!!!

Henry
Old 02-16-2006, 08:54 PM

Its your right to not agree, but, I stand on my decision!

There has to be some technical information about the system included.

This is the "Tech Talk" section for Gearheads.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:03 PM

The fact is that Gary hasnt discussed a single thing about that system other than pasting posts from other forums, and every word is from other people! Now, thats great, that Danny says the system kicks ass. But, some info on the system should be included, and in Gary Stewarts words!

When audio manufacturers come out with new components, do they just tell us " Heres the NEW amps "? No, they tell us in detail about the new circuitry developed, and what it does, and why it does it, and how it improves upon what was available previously!

When I post about audio, I have always dug into why certain things work, and what makes them sound the way they do.

Other contractors and installers at least tell you about the amps, electronics, and speaker/drivers they use, and why they think its the best!

So, I expect the same from Gary, its a reasonable requirement.

Last edited by clubman5 : 02-16-2006 at 09:48 PM.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:51 PM

The " DT@ZOUK "thread has been reopened.

There are a couple of stipulations though.

Threads about your systems need to have some description of them, NOT just what other people say it sounds like! Its cool for others to say openly a system sounds great, but once we are talking about it here on wave, we need just a bit more! Like a little amp and speaker talk. What comp drivers are you using? Things like that!

Tech talk for those that want to talk tech talk!
Old 02-17-2006, 11:07 AM

Scott your are being disingenuous and unfair. I can search this board and find countless postings from Shorty about systems he did in Canada that are also self promoting. And if memory serves me correctly he was hyping some kind of new crossover device too.

DUO recently advertised a cross fading mixer attachment and new plug in sound card and Mario advertised some awesome stick head phones, I know because I bought one (and I love it) None of these posts gave any technical descriptions, except perhaps the sound cards. The point is that this is a technical board but not every single post has to contain technical information. I said happy birthday recently to FK, I hope that thread is not closed.

I do enjoy this board and the fact that you reopened the thread is a milestone. Donít take it personal Scott, but the members on here seem to agree. Close a thread for a serous violation of the rules but donít do it for this kind of petty reason

Hey should be in NYC next month can I come and ride the bumper cars and do I have to pay ?? Will you show me the sound system ?

Best Personal Regards, James
Old 02-17-2006, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LuvLatins
Scott your are being disingenuous and unfair. I can search this board and find countless postings from Shorty about systems he did in Canada that are also self promoting. And if memory serves me correctly he was hyping some kind of new crossover device too.

DUO recently advertised a cross fading mixer attachment and new plug in sound card and Mario advertised some awesome stick head phones, I know because I bought one (and I love it) None of these posts gave any technical descriptions, except perhaps the sound cards. The point is that this is a technical board but not every single post has to contain technical information. I said happy birthday recently to FK, I hope that thread is not closed.

I do enjoy this board and the fact that you reopened the thread is a milestone. Donít take it personal Scott, but the members on here seem to agree. Close a thread for a serous violation of the rules but donít do it for this kind of petty reason

Hey should be in NYC next month can I come and ride the bumper cars and do I have to pay ?? Will you show me the sound system ?

Best Personal Regards, James
Its not petty, you see James, everyone wants to read and talk tech talk! I agree that self promoting is OK, but I want some tech info included, not just self promotion!

The thread I closed has no technical information about Zouks system in Gary Stewarts words WHATSOEVER!

But, I reopened the thread, and we shall see what happens.

FWIW, Francois had spoke to me via email about all this self promotion, so, evidently, he isnt totally fond of it, either. Right or wrong, I will continue to allow the sound installers, and gear sellers to tout and promote their wares, however, they will have to include some description of what they are promoting, and NOT cut and pasting posts from other websites written by other people!

Ill say it again, I obviously havent been heard the first time, THIS IS THE TECH TALK FOR GEARHEADS section of Wavemusic!

On a friendlier note, yes you can have a free ride, and when you come in here, I doubt you will miss this system! Its easy to see!

P.S. When Duo, Mario, and Shorty post self promoting threads, they do include technical description of their items! How many modifications and custom Urei changes has mario outlined and walked others through right here on this website? Duo tells you what his units do electronically, and why he chooses the circuits and components he does! Shorty tells us about what drivers and amps, and speaker cabinets he uses!

Get the drift?

Last edited by clubman5 : 02-17-2006 at 11:45 AM.
Old 02-17-2006, 11:45 AM

heheheh your such a bad ass.

Can I mix a few records on it too and turn it way UP ?

LOL
Old 02-17-2006, 11:47 AM

Quote:
heheheh your such a bad ass.

Can I mix a few records on it too and turn it way UP ?

LOL
We will see!

Ive always been one to say whats on my mind!

Old 02-17-2006, 11:50 AM

Its kewl, the New York Lan assocation had a similar policy, vendors were allowed to come and show their stuff but they had to make it informative so the members learned something. It is actually a good policy just be sure you implement it for ALL members and not just a select few.

Guess I have been known to speak my mind too huh ?

Hugs - James
Old 02-17-2006, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Its kewl, the New York Lan assocation had a similar policy, vendors were allowed to come and show their stuff but they had to make it informative so the members learned something. It is actually a good policy just be sure you implement it for ALL members and not just a select few.

Guess I have been known to speak my mind too huh ?

Hugs - James
The policy is for everyone! Not just one person, or select members!

If anyone wishes to self promote, its cool, but they must include some technical description of their systems, and/or items.