About Us
Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads > Techtalk is on timeout forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Why did this timeout happen?

Sorry for the cold shower, but there is no question that we are in need of some time to really assess what has been
taking place here. A reality check of sorts.

Things have progressively been getting more and more out of hand, and it has really started to feel difficult for honest,
unbiased discussions to take place, due to many of our members taking sides with specific sound installers and their
products.

It almost feels like this place has become a battleground, and we think that it is time that this should be discussed, and
how we can address this, and move forward.

We will be welcoming your opinions in these matters. Until such time as we come to a resolution on this is taken, the other
Techtalk Forums will remain closed.

Any other topics of discussion that veer off these issues will automatically be deleted.

Wave Music Forum Admin
Old 11-23-2009, 08:54 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Personally, I think its a shame about the recent lack of respect some people have shown. There is a lot of great people here. This space and its privledges are not lost on me and I hope we can all try to be courteous from here on out..

Love the fact that Francois chose a bit of humour to highlight the point.

Our differences are far fewer than our common interests.. We all like gear, music and the community within. I think when being a responsipble member of this community there is no place for angry arguments

moving onward upward.. much respect, Charlie
Old 11-23-2009, 09:46 PM

if ppl arent gonna respect eachothers opinions and use this forum to air out dirty laundry or call out others as to whether there products or experience or superior to someone elses then thats not being respectful or just plain not being nice

if you dont like something or have a hate on for some reason then whats the point of arguing online about it

maybe we need a separate section just for ppl to show off thier stuff they make (for sale or otherwise)

this board has always been inspiring for me and the many things about sound and djing ive learned from here are invaluable and the help ive recieved when i asked for here is amazing.

but if we cant agrre to be civil and ppl wanna call out or act like crankshafts then this aint a place i wanna hang out

Last edited by Fred Bissnette : 11-23-2009 at 09:58 PM.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:57 PM

Send a message via AIM to dino59
well i have been on this site for a long time and know many members personaly .I feel like i have been here before oh yea when i was in pre -school,when the whole class got punished for the few ,hint maybe punish the few and not the whole class .
Old 11-24-2009, 01:24 AM

I find it a complete waste of time to come here a read other peoples personal dramas. There are far more productive avenues that we can go down other than what has transpired of late.

With school kids being bullied online to the point of committing suicide I think we should all take notice of our actions whilst participating in online communities if we are to set an example to the younger generation. Especially those who have gained an elevated status should think twice.

Keep the forums closed, maybe we all need a few weeks away so that we can find some value in what we post online.
________
Mercedes-Benz Zetros specifications

Last edited by Richi : 02-02-2011 at 07:35 PM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:01 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
Francois-

One suggestions I have is to show IP's in posts or if privacy is a concern, have whomever the moderator is run a crosscheck on a regular basis. It's quite obvious there is aliasing going on here if you read the board enough and get a general feel for how people write, their style, grammatical mistakes, etc. There are quite a few that are dead ringers for aliasing, but without naming names, I'd just like to suggest that as something that could be helpful in keeping the "nonsense" to a minimum.

I think you are dead-on with having a line in the sand. There is no need for anyone to be waging their own personal wars by ganging up on other members or mudslinging. I've been an active member of this board for quite some time and think anyone should have the right to talk about their products, installs and knowledge. I think the sub-forum you created is a good way of handling the self-promotion thing too.

However, when someone personally attacks someone else, for whatever reason, that's not selling a product anymore, that's personally attacking someone's reputation and livelihood and really cheapens this board and the whole premise behind it. We're all supposed to be adults here and this is like 15 year old high-school behavior.

Honestly, I would like to see write-ups and job stories from other installers besides Shorty as well. It's interesting to know what else is out there. Is that self-promotion? Absolutely, but there's not another place on the internet that I think is more appropriate then this board for such things. At the end of the day, I think sometimes some people (including Shorty) go a bit overboard on the self-promotion, but if you don't want to read it, skip to the next thread. This is a far cry from making accusations at people that once published are on the permanent record of the internet whether they are true or false.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:31 AM

i've posted my first message on this board in DECEMBER 2001.
at that time i was never suspecting that this forum would become a reference in the so-called professional dj world.
i feel that many things must be discussed now before reopening it, but i want to say that this vintage gear fever is very boring and de-evolutionary in general...
a fever that made the fortune of some tech-experts, big names in the industry, some wicked ebay-ers and at the same time literally brainwashed young people who think that "vintage is always better" or "analog is always better" ... and the most ridiculous aspect is that often we are just talking about a "DJ mixer" or a "DJ isolator"... i feel part of this with my little role, but i never wanted this nonsense ... these misconceptions mixed with an hard personal business vision and arrogance has generated monsters.
i have to say that i totally agree with the suspension of techtalk forum.

Last edited by michele : 11-24-2009 at 09:36 AM.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:28 PM

i know i had no part in this riff raff, but POST A FLICK OF YOUR SELF. sometimes its good to put a name with a face.

see, i'm a happy individual
Old 11-24-2009, 08:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Arrow

here's one of me sporting a Wave shirt.. I love the Wave label, as well as Wavetec & DeepSpace.. & of course my Wave forum Music & friends are what I'm all about! Respect
Old 11-25-2009, 12:20 AM

Ah, some pics of me to amuse everyone,,, LOL,, the last one of me on a cliff was in the 80's when i was dancing in a video clip that got shot on the coast, I got really drunk!!! The rest are odd promo pics my manager took over the years!

Personally i think the bickering is madness but i don't let it get to me!

I would love to hear more about what other installers are doing and what gear they are using whether it is Class A HiFi or home built experiments.. I have played with almost everything sound related & DJ related over the years but there is always something to learn from others!

Maybe a time out is needed and people reprimanded.

I personally loved the info we use to get from people like “thermionic” (and plenty of others) but it’s seems like these people are just avoiding the forum due to (I assume) all the bickering and mis-information..

I have found some great people on this forum and I have created good business relationships with some of them, so in my view, I owe it to WAVEMUSIC to help out other people who post on here with questions… And I know I am not alone in the feeling that if we don’t pass on our knowledge to the next generation of DJ’s our industry will lose the heart and just be all about the $$$$$$$ and I hope I never see that!!!

P.S. thanks for all the happy birthdays messages people!!

Kieren!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SpecialKpromo1.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	86.1 KB
ID:	2624  Click image for larger version

Name:	special.k@ gia's b-day.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	2625  Click image for larger version

Name:	special.k @ screw4.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	2626  Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010134.JPG
Views:	269
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	2627  Click image for larger version

Name:	6255_111976570107_575150107_2721874_97156_n.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	2628  

Old 11-25-2009, 07:57 AM

opinions are like assholes....

and we all know why!!! so lets all just chill out and not get so worked up!!! old-school/new-school... digital/analog....rotary/sliders....direct radiating/horn loaded... i mean cmon... life is too short to get your underwear in a bind over these little things!!!! do what you do and be proud of it but if someone does it a little different than you... dont give em a horseload of shit!!!! thats just tacky!!! anybody wants to pick a fight i beg them to come on down to sao paulo and get into it with my exwife!!! she loves this kind of mindless bickering and will bitch you right out of town....hahaha -the moderators are doing a great job in a tough situation...SECURITY!!!!! tchau from rainy as hell sampa - bret
Old 11-25-2009, 04:41 PM

the interesting thing is that those who are always bragging about their products have not posted a single comment yet ! fact !

i am quite surprised as usually they are very quick at moving the debate towards their products ...

I totally agree with this timeout and hope the kids will chill out ...
Old 11-25-2009, 06:12 PM
Banned

I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister T
the interesting thing is that those who are always bragging about their products have not posted a single comment yet ! fact !

i am quite surprised as usually they are very quick at moving the debate towards their products ...

I totally agree with this timeout and hope the kids will chill out ...

been waiting for a moment to reply...
1. I would like to take this time and sincerely apologize to the Admin and fellow members of this forum for my, and only my behavior. It was rude, obscene and completely unnecessary. I humbly apologize to those that viewed my post and were upset by what I posted.
2. It is a TRUE fact that there was no response from a certain party and I know why. So we'll just leave that alone!
3. While some of you are making some valid points, many of you are responding to the thing that you read in the threads and post. This is fine and well. PM's were sent to me and others that I personally know on this board and is what sent me into a rage. I reacted without the thought of the consequences or thinking of others reading the board. (Apology see #1)
4. It has also come to my attention that some of you believe that I am Shorty. I certainly am not.....I'm a foot and a half taller than he is.
5. I am sorry that some of you feel that I geared toward SBS and their products and sound systems.....TYO and you're entitled to it. At the same time as a paying customer that patronizes some of the establishments with sound installs by some of the members here on the board, as a member of this board I feel I have the right to post my honest opinion about the install. If its good I'll say so, If it sucks I'll say so. Sorry if you are offended its just my opinion.
6. Hope everyone has a safe and enjoyable Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-26-2009, 09:51 AM

Let's be thankful for what we have

Peace and Blessing Always

HAPPY THANKSGIVING !!

jon jon "/
Old 11-26-2009, 04:21 PM

I enjoyed this thread because of it's sheer ammount of information and help i've gotten here: NeverObsolete and ArmenianSoul some of the few.

Great forum, great people. Hope the forum will be back, with high hopes that this confrontation will be a big no no.

Justin
Old 11-26-2009, 11:18 PM

Francois
& to all Members here, Friends and Customers

I would like to thank you all for all the good years and partially for all the success I had with repairs and sales form this form.

If I offend any of you I do apologize. I am also tired of all this nonsense it has taken much out of me.

You all must understand there is always two sides to every story and then that is always stretched. I know many members here in person or have talked to you on the phone. I have a problem with many lies that I know are not true and I was trying to prove to you by asking questions but they are never answered by the person I ask the question to, yet I have been attacked for asking. I do not hide behind any names nor do I have any reason to I am who I am.

Regarding a few of the posts which I do promote….

Keep in mind I help design and build the GSA ISO 3001 ISOLATOR and I am very proud of what came out of it and will continue to do so.

I am also going to slow down on the repairs and sales do to some health issues and spend more time with my wife and 2 boys.

I would once again like to thank you and wish you all a very Happy Holiday.

If I could ever help with anything please feel free to email me as my PMS are full and I think I will keep them that way for now. djmariog@aol.com

You are all welcome to see many great photos on my facebook --
Mario Giannotte

PS….

ALSO I DO FEEL
SCOTTY J. DOES A GREAT JOB

CONTINUE THE GREAT WORK AS ITS NOT EASY DOING THE JOB HE DOES

THANK YOU; to MR. SCOTTY J / CLUBMAN

Mario Giannotte
Old 11-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Banned

I'm going to step outside the box

and say what many here know to be the truth. While many of you are praising the moderator of this board for doing a wonderful job....He has alot to do with some of the drama that goes on here. Proof is in the pudding, just look back over the years at some of his post and threads. It was a time on this very forum that he was very much SBS to the core, even claiming so on other boards that he was even a part of SBS. After a falling out with certain parties....more than SBS.... it was clear to those in the know that there was going to be a def change in things here with him hyping other products, as can clearly be seen in the second longest thread on this board with glowing reviews by the moderator himself. Threads and post being deleted, because they didn't sit well with the mod....wonderful job? I think not.Do any of you remember the Ciamarra thread? In that thread, the mod made threats to several individuals. Even claimed one individual didn't even exist when he clearly does? Some of you may think of him as a nice guy that gives some great advice on this board....that does not make him a good moderator of it.
Old 11-27-2009, 03:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to atf104
After FK started the new forum to address advertisement issues I think all the bumps in the road were smoothing out.

People who read this forum from all over the world and just want to talk shop and gear really have no interest in Mario's private little war he seems to want to wage on here. It honestly has no place on this forum imho and whether people on here know the details or don't know the details, I think none of them want it discussed on here nor any other kind of mudslinging drama.
Old 11-28-2009, 03:04 AM

This is a subjective medium, we all project our moods at times into other peoples posts when reading and it's a human thing to interpret words and color them with our own attitudes. This is a board with some amazing talent and expertise. People on this board are passionate, honest, knowledgeable and human, so arguments will come up from time to time and this is not the first or last time this will happen.

However much drama there can be at times I have learned a lot from every member on this board and respect everyone who shares their knowledge with us.

I do not post often 'cos the truth is I do not know as much as many members on this board and when I do post it is because I need some help.

I do, however, find it necessary to speak my 2 cents about Scotty. I believe that he is quite un-biased and I do not remember him hyping any products he does not believe in. I also know him to be one of the most stand up people I have met and I know he does his best to moderate in spite of being a very busy person.

He does not speak about products to hype them, he talks about them because he hears something he likes, however, if he doesn't like what he hears he will say so as well. I do believe anyone else on this board would say yay or nay if they were posting their opinion about any product being discussed. It would then be up to the reader to decide which yays or nays are valuable and make their own decisions.

Peas
Old 11-28-2009, 06:56 AM

from "Tech talk for gearheads" to "Sale talk for gearheads"

This all happened because the forum progressively turned into an advertising/commercial platform for people to:
- sell their new products
- auction their bozaks/ureis on ebay (not talking of one offs)
- install sound systems/promote their services

I am not saying this is bad, but big dollars get involved - and some people make a living out of it - so understandably some threads can get heated, or some people try to post more than they should just to "occupy" the field.

The forum has shifted from "Tech talk for gearheads" to "Sale talk for gearheads"

Four simple measures to put this behind us:

1. Ban any product advertising in the main section -> no money/business involved -> much easier to manage the forum and have objective discussions.

2. Ban thread hi-jack -> respect the original poster's subject

3. Create a forum for product announcements -> no hi-jacking of thread allowed -> garbage ego debate disappears

4. Report bad behaviour

This will surely take us to a forum we all enjoy ... I would see this as taking the commercials out of a good movie :-)
Old 11-28-2009, 10:04 AM

wow... i've been away visiting some rural family members for a holiday visit...

i am really sorry to hear of and see this turn of events....

thanks to FK for the forum, and to all the folks posting here in an honest exchange....

hope everybody in the US had a nice holiday (thanksgiving),
and everybody else had a good week.

PS. i've learned quite a bit here and other places online, and would hate to see it go by the wayside...

and some times hopefully I've been able to point some folks in a direction to find what they seek in a posting....

but I trust and understand any decision that is come to
by the administrative staff of Wave.

thanks again!
Old 11-29-2009, 01:20 AM

Just got back from a vacation to discover all this drama.

I'd just like to say thanks to FK for creating the forum and to Scott for his capable moderating.

This is one of my favourite places on the internet and an invaluable source of information. Thanks to everyone who contributes to making it that.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:11 PM

I just wanted to say that I really enjoyed this forum. So much good information and knowledgable people.
Thank you Francois for giving me the opportunity to take part of this.
I sincerely hope we can find a way to get it back on track again.
As others already has said, it's unique and well worth taking care of.

Carl Almquist
Old 11-30-2009, 07:44 AM

i do hope wave can get back to its original path.

i think a lot of the posters stopped looking in because of rudeness, abuse and some daft subjective arguments that started and to be brutally frank a rather arrogant u.s.a. centric attitude.

but i truly hope it will find its new way.

love and respect from the u.k.

darryl.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:55 AM

I too hope Wave can get back on track. As has already been said by several people it is a totally uneaq place on the web focused on an area of sound/dj gear that no other place does and it offers a wealth of valuable information.

I know I have had a small part in some of the bickering that has gone on and I truelly apologize for my part in that. In my defense though I have only tried to stick up for a friend who has been constantly attacked by a certain lumber man and his cronies.

I do feel a new moderator is needed though. As was the case when this last rash of crazy behavior went down Scott was nowhere to be found.... infact he still hasn't surfaced since then. All too often that has been the case and this was just the latest example of it. I don't believe thats acceptable. I mean come on... someone threatened to kill someon and that whent unchecked for days. That was absolutely unacceptable behavior that should have been corrected IMEDIATELY. If you have taken the position of moderator you should be watching the board and Scott clearly doesn't have time available to do that. I really feel like had he been around this all could have ben nipped in the bud before it got so out of hand. Just my oppinion....

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!

Last edited by Kevin James : 11-30-2009 at 11:03 AM.