Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2007, 12:48 PM

Bozak Channels

hi,

does anyone know if there is a possibility to make out of one of the two mic channels of a Bozak DLA a Line-Channel (even if it stays a mono channel) to connect cd-player or something else? i tried just to play a cd through it, but of course - it is distorted. We have the bozak in a club and the input channels often are not enough. And who needs two Microphones... Thanks for any advice!
Old 09-19-2007, 01:31 PM

Without getting too involved; you can jump out the mic preamps and use each channel as a mono line channel. This would take a little wiring wizardry, but wouldn't take too much time. With some more time (and solder) you can convert them into proper stereo line channels with RCA inputs.
Old 09-19-2007, 02:34 PM

The Bozak uses summing resistors, with the mix-amp having a high-impedance input. In other words, you can easily add a stereo channel (as Dave says) - and you could probably add another stereo channel or even more without an issue (I haven't tried this yet - every extra channel will increase the impedance seen by the mix amp - my guess is that you could easily get away with a pair of stereo channels replacing the mic channels without any issues).

With the CMA 10-2-DL I'm working on at the moment, I've replaced the original Mic pots with stereo RK27 pots (I have too many in stock!). If the user wants to add a stereo channel, they can connect a jumper straight from the rear input to the pot. You'll need a second summing resistor, and voila, your first Mic channel becomes a stereo line input.

Alternatively, you could connect each channel to each Mic pot and Pan L/R accordingly.

You could replace the 3-pin XLRs with 5-pin XLRs for a stereo signal - this could be easier than adding new Phono jacks.

The biggest issue you're going to have is the fact that there are no cue-ing provisions for the Mic channels… I told my current client that I could convert the Mic channels to Line channels easily, but he went off the idea when I told him we'd need to replace the rotary switch and re-print some silkcreen on the panel...

Adding a raw stereo input in place of a Mic channel is easy. Getting a cue feed is not so easy... Decent rotary switches are an endangered species btw - a good one will cost a lot unless you spend a lot of time looking for surplus on Ebay.

Justin

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak
Old 09-19-2007, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanda67
hi,

does anyone know if there is a possibility to make out of one of the two mic channels of a Bozak DLA a Line-Channel (even if it stays a mono channel) to connect cd-player or something else? i tried just to play a cd through it, but of course - it is distorted. We have the bozak in a club and the input channels often are not enough. And who needs two Microphones... Thanks for any advice!

In regards to your question about adding extra inputs on a Bozak. I would be glad to discuss this with you if you want to shot me and e-mail. I personally own many of the factory modified mixers that I purchased years ago from Buzzy B. I have mixers that were modified to 9 auxs and all are que selectable and still have 2 mic channels. Many people feel that 2 mic channels are not needed, however if you do weddings or mobiles the need for a remote mic comes in handy. The factory mixer switch can be modified to a 5channel que switch with very little problems. In regards to and extra non-balanced input being added, this is also can be done. To maintain the proper preload of the channel I will share a direct quote for you that may help you save time in your load resistor selection. I will also post a few pictures of a mixer I just completed for a wave customer. The mixer was a dl and converted to a dlc with a rear aluminum chasis & gold rca's. (take notice of the back panels no rivets)

“ Mario, the factory installed resistor for a non-balanced controlled input pot is a select issue, however a good rule of thumb that will put you in the ball park is 68K. At one time we used some 56Ks but these were a little to hot. A 68K for up to 3 extra channels will put you very close to the factory select fit” Something else I would like to share with you that a lot of people do not know. The Bozak design is one of the very few stereo units that a card could be put in backwards and it will still work. This design was done early on with the first stereo units to eliminate non qualified people who wanted to add cards but could accidentally put them in wrong. This eliminated many possible problems that could have been created. The only exception to the rule is the audio line and cue cards that will still work when installed backwards except that your line becomes headphone and vice versa on the outputs. I hope some of this factory info will help you. Also I have removed the output cards from a mixer and took a close up so you can see how the factory added the Booth level control. Here are some pictures of factory modified and custom built units.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3214.JPG
Views:	275
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1517  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3241.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	70.9 KB
ID:	1518  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3238.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1519  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3230.JPG
Views:	295
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	1520  Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3215.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	1521  

Last edited by djmariog : 09-19-2007 at 09:46 PM.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:21 PM

I have not added the pictures that were sent to me due to the size of the image.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:07 AM

thanks a lot for the wonderfull answers... I really forgot that it would mean that there is no CUE possibility - how stupid. And any construction that would make a CUE possible seems to much for the moment - the unit has to work every weekend! So I'll wait with that until our club is closed because they destroy the building - then we will have some months of building up a new club, and that will be the time of Bozak Restauration...
Old 09-20-2007, 08:53 AM

Xanda,

The most difficult thing here will be making the front panel printing look good for the extra positions on the switch.

The electronics side is really easy.

You could buy a replacement front panel from a later Bozak which includes the Aux Cue markings, or you could easily get someone to make you a custom from panel (I get custom panels made every week - no big deal), and even include your company logo on.

Justin

Bozak CMA 10-2-DL Full Rebuild

How Mixer Level Controls Work

Important Differences Between Types of Bozak