Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM

I Respect Craftsmanship

The Samurai had one sword made from a master, he respected and took care of his sword, it didn't fail him because it was built to with the intent of lasting, he didn't buy a new one at BestBuy every other year.

It's so easy to spot craftsmanship, and if not in individual hand built units at least in design, I grew up around this ideal, my step father was a blacksmith.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here but still, this is why I respect Shorty, Barbe, Duo, Formula Sound, a lot of the analog synth designers, these cats and companies who really do care about what they're building.

Anyways, check it out!

www.wunderaudio.com
Old 04-19-2007, 02:35 PM

Yes, but in Japan iron was scarce, so steel was in short supply. Therefore, it made sense to develop precision crafted swords that would last forever. Europe on the other hand had lots of steel, so cheap utilitarian swords that could be easily replaced made more sense.

The moral of this story is if the material is available you're better off going the cheap route.

Why buy a high end $2000 club mixer, when you can buy 10 $200 Behringers and replace them every few months.

Old 04-19-2007, 02:55 PM

it makes simple business sense to buy one item that works well and will work for 10 years once than buy something not designed for touring use sevaral times

the definition of insanity is repeating the exact same behavior over and over expecting diferent results

peas
Old 04-19-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattColeridge
Yes, but in Japan iron was scarce, so steel was in short supply. Therefore, it made sense to develop precision crafted swords that would last forever. Europe on the other hand had lots of steel, so cheap utilitarian swords that could be easily replaced made more sense.

The moral of this story is if the material is available you're better off going the cheap route.

Why buy a high end $2000 club mixer, when you can buy 10 $200 Behringers and replace them every few months.

but then all you end up with is thousands upon thousands of units in the landfill......

where we gonna put all of our trash?

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 04-19-2007, 03:08 PM

Why drive 10 Fiats when you can drive one Ferrari?

Its all about quality
Old 04-19-2007, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeee
Why drive 10 Fiats when you can drive one Ferrari?

Its all about quality

Preach on brother.
Old 04-19-2007, 04:03 PM

Is that a Wheatstone board? Those solo/mute buttons look familiar....

Right Louped?
Old 04-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSA.audio
but then all you end up with is thousands upon thousands of units in the landfill......
where we gonna put all of our trash?

exactly. time to curb our Consumption Culture.

In much the same way as the samurai's sword was doomed to obsoleteness with the invention of the firearm, the era of the analog rotary mixer may have ended with the digital mixers and MIDI controllers of today.

When I was debating which mixer to purchase, I considered a new Mac with Ableton and a MIDI controller. In the end, the choice was clear. My DJR400 will outlast me; as did the sword of the samurai.
Old 04-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnkarrik
Is that a Wheatstone board? Those solo/mute buttons look familiar....

Right Louped?

it certainly does.....

maybe that is a common feature on broadcast consoles?

Old 04-19-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C_T
exactly. time to curb our Consumption Culture.

When I was debating which mixer to purchase, I considered a new Mac with Ableton and a MIDI controller. In the end, the choice was clear. My DJR400 will outlast me; as did the sword of the samurai.

so, I live too close to Boulder, CO.....

what's your excuse?

Old 04-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Gentelmen if you would allow me to step to the podium again...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattColeridge

The economical evaluation after the fact neglects the experience of both the atrisan sword maker and the samurai user.

I gues the Samurai's sword was both art and sword then?

Kind of like the DJR400!

For a few years I've had a custom mixer design floating around in my head, not the actual technical design but the layout and features, one day I'd love to have it custom built, maybe by Jerome?

"The right things not more things"

is a personal mantra of mine, not everyone can afford to do it, but I try to where my passions are concerned as I find myself able to.

Simply examining the intent behind exchange alone can do wonders for you, like buying organic vegtables at the farmers market, knowing that you are often paying the person who grew them with care directly feels good, chatting for a moment and maybe learning something ain't so bad either.

Or spending the money on one really good Olympic weightlifting bar, it may cost $500 or more, not $60 from Big 5, but if you take care of it and make sure it doesn't get wet and rust you will have that bar for as long as you like, and will most likely hand it down to your children.

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...218%2DTL%2DBAR

IMHO following intention in business is an easy way to help cycle some balance(better energy) into some of the problems of the modern system of business and exchange; can't do it with all things but just a little can go a long way.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .......................

Matt I did find that interesting, I enjoy Japanese history, design, art, and culture; I enjoy perusing through time and culture for wisdom. BTW I think everyone of my producer friends owns a Behringer EuroRack

Last edited by BigCat : 04-20-2007 at 01:22 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 08:39 PM

I know many of the board members are still enjoying their original Urei's & Bozaks, the barbell point of course was that fortunately this exist in other fields as well.

Thanks for the input Fred B., DSA, jnkarrik, CT, Matt, a video clip about the origins of the mixing desk something to do with Led Zeplin?

http://www.gearwire.com/wunder-audio-wunderbar.html

Last edited by BigCat : 04-20-2007 at 02:09 AM.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:01 PM

What? Led Zeppelin? You mean the greatest rock band of all times? The Hammer of the Gods?

Oh uh, sorry, couldn't help myself, they just happen to be my favorite band of all times

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 04-20-2007, 02:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Oh uh, sorry, couldn't help myself, they just happen to be my favorite band of all times

I understand!

As half of my posts is me stateing the obvious to a a board more so then any other focused on quality of sound and care in craftsmenship in build, It still feels good to make a public decry.
Old 04-20-2007, 02:10 AM

.................................................. .................................................

Imagine a midi controler, or CDJ with the build of the wonder console, something better and heavier then Doepfer.

It looks as though some of the rotary nobs on teh wunderaudio console are the same as those used on Sasha's Maven?
Old 04-20-2007, 05:04 AM

Quote:
it certainly does.....

maybe that is a common feature on broadcast consoles?

Buttons like that are common on broadcast consoles but they have a different use. The green button turns the channel on and starts the source (originally a 3 track cart deck). The red button turns the channel off and stops/cues the source (originally sending the cart deck to the primary or next secondary cue mark).

Those old broadcast mixers were amazingly well built. The magic in a piece of quality workmanship is that trained hands can perform at a significantly higher level when using one.

Long term savings are easy to realize with quality gear. If you are in a club replacing Behringers every week it is costing you a lot more than the mixer itself. There is also money keeping spares in stock, money for a place to store the spares, money to pay your sound contractor the 4 hour minimum every time it dies, money lost every time it quits sending your patrons away and serious money lost when those patrons decide to go somewhere more reliable the next time.

Buy that artisan piece. It is worth every penny and you will be preserving the art from WalMartification.

--Abyssus Abyssum
Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 AM

who's gonna lend me 3000 euro so i can get a djr 400 fx and a roland space echo and some cases to carry it round in ?

Old 04-20-2007, 09:42 AM

heard of the microfinance phenominia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfinance

Last edited by DSA.audio : 04-20-2007 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 09:46 AM

no !

i have just lost my long term dj residency and had some new jacks who steal music from p2p sites and use pioneer djm 600 and cdrs in place of my beautiful vinyl set up.

not good.

even worse is the fact they are house dj's who don't even know what a 909 is or have not heard of mancuso , siano and even our host francois k.
they are a virus slowly killing real house , real dj's and real sounding gear here in the uk.

not good at all.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:32 AM

bummer, sorry to hear about that.....

Old 04-20-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylfunk
no !

i have just lost my long term dj residency and had some new jacks who steal music from p2p sites and use pioneer djm 600 and cdrs in place of my beautiful vinyl set up.

not good.

even worse is the fact they are house dj's who don't even know what a 909 is or have not heard of mancuso , siano and even our host francois k.
they are a virus slowly killing real house , real dj's and real sounding gear here in the uk.

not good at all.

That sounds rather shit, but you wait when those guys go out of fission (in about 2 days lol) and he's going to be like...errrm do you want your residency back??
Any way just as long as we have people like us on the scene it's all good! I know what you mean though those little scrote's ruin it for every one.

Ps if you ever fancy popping down kent for a mix and chat feel free
Old 04-20-2007, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalis
Buy that artisan piece. It is worth every penny and you will be preserving the art from WalMartification.

HELLYEAH!!!

Old 04-20-2007, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrylfunk
no !

not good.

I'm sorry to hear that Darryl.

For as long time as a personal trainer/strength coach all the good technics were disappearing, more machines, more b*llshit, new-jack trainers that hadn't accomplished anything with themselves, and had no sense of our heritage as weightlifters.

NO REAL PASSION for IRON!

The corporate chains would rather pay someone with no experience a poor hourly rate then pay coaches and trainers with ten years of experience, what they deserve, quality is not worth the money to them.

I understand and feel for your predicament.

Last edited by BigCat : 04-20-2007 at 07:44 PM.
Old 04-20-2007, 07:46 PM

The good news, you CAN figure out a way to turn this sh*t around and benefit from the change!
Old 04-20-2007, 07:50 PM

Quote:
heard of the microfinance phenominia?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microfinance

So is that an offer to help me write a little finance proposal for Some Resolution 2A's and Subs?