TAD 2401 Twin Loudspeakers on eBay

Klick!
I need money!
Old 05-25-2007, 08:31 PM

those are nice but with a little knowhow and some work you could build those
for way less than 17000
Old 05-26-2007, 02:04 AM

Not really, Fred.

You see those TAD maple wood horns? The math is complex, and making them, to precision tolerances is easier said than done, and even skilled woodworkers have trouble making them.

They were super expensive when made by TAD, and will be even more expensive made small batch custom to order.

BTW, another little tidbet of info, the TAD horns had a special carved out filter inside the horns wood flare, AFAST they called it, so, unless you know how to make that part, it aint just a regular horn.

Another thing I would like to point out, even though the bass reflex cabinet for the TAD woofers is simple enough to build by any skilled woodworker, the very finest speaker makers are known for their cabinetry. How well built and solid and rattle free they are, and how well tuned they are. One manufacturer, Westlake Audio, is said to be the BEST cabinet tuner on earth, their cabinets outdo JBL, and all others. So do their prices!

Then, we havent even gotten into xover networks yet, TAD made very special passives for their speakers. They could be copied, but, even a copy, made from the best parts, wont sound the exactly the same unless it was made with the SAME exact components TAD used! You might get lucky though, and come up with something better than TAD did, however?

Old 05-26-2007, 11:11 AM

well i aggree with you 100% on the wooden horn and if i was to make some tad cabinets id probably use some 2395 lenses or find some nice fibreglass ones from tr and as for the crossovers i would more than likely use different components or use a bryston 10b

i guess all im saying is that i could build something that would sound nice with those components

and to the untrained ear im not sure who could tell the difference
but to us soundguys and audiophiles we enjoy the finer tolerances of these thigs hehe.

peas man

Last edited by Fred Bissnette : 05-26-2007 at 11:13 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 11:22 AM

i checked out the westlake site nice stuff

i want a bunch of those sm-1 cabinets they look great and are the size of a deep freezer lol

very cool
Old 05-26-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bissnette
well i aggree with you 100% on the wooden horn and if i was to make some tad cabinets id probably use some 2395 lenses or find some nice fibreglass ones from tr and as for the crossovers i would more than likely use different components or use a bryston 10b

i guess all im saying is that i could build something that would sound nice with those components

and to the untrained ear im not sure who could tell the difference
but to us soundguys and audiophiles we enjoy the finer tolerances of these thigs hehe.

peas man
Everything mentioned will infact work. BUT it would NEVER EVER be the TAD 2401,s.

Sure Bryston 10B,s would work, it just wont have the compensation built into the TAD passive networks.

Fiberglass horns from Tr? Excellent choice, as long as you never listened to an original pair of 2401,s, and dont have any aspirations to be a home decorator, the TADS horns are designer gorgeous in looks and drop dead gorgeous sonically.

At the end of ther day, you'd have a pair of speakers, no doubt, but TAD they would never be!

Last edited by clubman5 : 05-26-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:11 PM

All hail TAD in all their glory!
Old 05-26-2007, 04:51 PM
Samplaholic

This guy did great job cloning the TAD horn. This just scary.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread/t-80068.html

A few years back I got chance to chat with one of the operators at the IMAX Baltimore. According to him ,when the specs for the IMAX sound system TAD was bypassed as overpriced and overhyped. The current IMAX systems use 100% JBL and it's truly breathtaking to hear.

My own experience listening to TAD products is that it is impressive but the price couldn't be justified IMO.
________
Weed

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:37 AM.
Old 05-26-2007, 06:57 PM

Alot say TAD is overspeced and overpriced, but, wood horns have a particular tone to them. When made right, and used properly, they are great.

Their are guys that CAN make em too, BUT, how much will two horns cost you? $3500ea? And if you use fancier wood, price goes up.

JBL used to make a decent sounding wood diffraction horn, the 2397, still coveted today.

The problem with wood, is you need skilled artisans to make them, and they are costly to make and sell. As opposed to an inection molded ABS horn, which is machine made, and human finished, sanding, painting, and label added on.

About TAD being overpriced, and overspeced, well, their woofers are arguable some of the very finest sounding woofers I've ever used. If its worth it to you to have them, then thats the criteria.

Years ago, both Altec and JBL offered drivers of similar sound quality, at far more reasonable prices, but, alas, JBL is NEW JBL today. And Altec is gone.

TAD is the finest sounding stuff made for pro and studio use today. I have other things that I think are good, but, IMHO, they are NOT quite as good as TAD is.

My dad didnt understand the TAD woofers stratospheric throne I place them on, then I played the CD "Eargle on Everrest " Overeture of 1812 for him, now Dad loves TAD! The drums sound fucking realistic through them, like your looking at the musicians play the instruments in the recordingh studio. WEell damped bass drumm sounds exactly like going to a music store and hitting the bass drum. Bass lines? I hear the mans fingers riding the fretboard. Vocals sound so smooth, so sultry, silky, and clear, yet no ringing or biting!

Is $500 a driver worth it to you? It was to me! Only you can decide what is proper for you.
Old 05-27-2007, 12:57 PM
Samplaholic

I understand where your coming from Scott.

How about the Fostex upper line of drivers and wood horns. I see a lot of audiophiles using them for custom rigs. Any opinions ?
________
Creampie orgy

Last edited by nitred : 04-07-2011 at 03:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2007, 01:41 PM

Fostex are great, but PRICEY, AND HARD to get!
Old 05-27-2007, 04:53 PM

why wood?

if one were to take a normal cd horn like an abs or fibreglass type and mount it in its own box and seal the front very well then pour concrete in the box up to the throat would this not dampen the horn the same as big wood?

i think that would work

tell me why it wouldnt

peas
Old 05-27-2007, 07:34 PM

Gotta be wood, it has self damping properties, and even just a bit of other materials throws the sound ( tone ) off.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:07 AM

gotcha
ill look into more of this