Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 01:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
Clean Audio

For those who don't know and understand clean audio. Get you hands on the following units:

Clubman two Mixer
GLI 3880, 3990
GLI 9000 or 7000 and listen to these units and you will hear what is lacking today in components. Withstanding the Bozak, these units were quality made with imposing sound quality. LISTEN and you will hear. These mixers wear made in the 70's and still rival todays units.
Old 11-10-2007, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to edwardcampbell Send a message via MSN to edwardcampbell
I am only pseaking to those who started with audio in the 70's.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardcampbell
For those who don't know and understand clean audio. Get you hands on the following units:

Sound is subjective. What sounds good to you may not sound good to others. Unless you are testing all those mixers flat, you are hearing the mixer’s characteristics (Based on the developer) added when manipulating the tone controls.

You also need to keep in mind what’s after the mixer in the chain and, how the whole ensemble works as a team.

There’s more to it than saying XYZ mixer sounds better than ABC. Those whove worked with all aspects of audio gear will not automatically chose one over the other without taking the above into consideration.

Best Regards,
Old 11-14-2007, 07:28 AM

I am speaking on playing the mentioned units flat, no tone controls no processing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Thompson
Sound is subjective. What sounds good to you may not sound good to others. Unless you are testing all those mixers flat, you are hearing the mixer’s characteristics (Based on the developer) added when manipulating the tone controls.

You also need to keep in mind what’s after the mixer in the chain and, how the whole ensemble works as a team.

There’s more to it than saying XYZ mixer sounds better than ABC. Those whove worked with all aspects of audio gear will not automatically chose one over the other without taking the above into consideration.

Best Regards,
Old 11-14-2007, 08:23 AM

Quote:
I am speaking on playing the mentioned units flat, no tone controls no processing.

Are you taking into consideration the Mixer -> Amplifier -> Speaker corelation? And of course the source. For as Needles offer their own characteristics in sound so does CD Players.

That plays a factor more than many imagine. Not to dismiss the area (Whether indoors or outdoors) and how the elements alter things as well.

The reason I'm mentioning this is because I own two systems and what sounds good (Processing wise) on one doesn't sound good on the other.

So unless we all use the same amplifiers, speakers, and source. In addition to providing sound in the same enviornments, a mixer can add or take away from the overall sound. Which would make the sound more subjective to the user.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Elliot Thompson : 11-14-2007 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:30 AM

Let's go with a simple system, a Grado Cartridge, with a Thorens Turntable, Audio Research or Mark Levinson Pre Amp and Power Amp and any speaker of your choice, forget about the mixer issue. Now tell what you think.
Old 11-15-2007, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Let's go with a simple system, a Grado Cartridge, with a Thorens Turntable, Audio Research or Mark Levinson Pre Amp and Power Amp and any speaker of your choice, forget about the mixer issue. Now tell what you think.

I guess I've been around Audio too long for I require more than a brand name to make me sway to a decision. All companies make good and junk products. This is where specifications (And understanding what they mean) come into play.

There are those that go by only what the specs says. There are those that pay specs no mind and just listen. I use both to reach my decision. IMHO you need to understand both in order to be 100% certain on what you are trying to achieve.

Best Regards,

Last edited by Elliot Thompson : 11-15-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 11-15-2007, 02:15 PM

And exactly how long have you been doing audio or been involved with sound. I really would like to know. I am curious.
Old 11-15-2007, 05:35 PM

Basically all my life. The first amplifier I've ever connected was an Eico HF 20 tube amplifier. My brother disconnected to prevent me from messing with it when he wasn't home. I was 5 or 6 years old then. Had my first organ when I was 4 or 5, guitar at age 6. Starting repairing audio (Nothing major) when I was 12 - 13. I used to bypass transistor blown outputs on Marantz, Scott, Fisher, and Pioneer Recievers then, use them as Preamplifiers. Surrounded by large soundsystems as long as I remember. I've been "Tuning" other peoples Rave Soundsystems for around 12 years using anything ranging from Crown Macrotechs to McIntosh MC 2500s. Bar/Bands systems for around 8 years. Reading Audio and High Fidelity magazines as early as 8 years old. Soundsystem Engineering books, Speaker Builder magazines as early as 16. So, I would say I have 22 years of experience in and around Audio. I'm 27 btw.

Best Regards,
Old 11-15-2007, 08:44 PM

Ok

I was impressed with your knowledge, however, I am 45 years old and EICO was around when I was very young, so I am trying to figure out how you could have gained all of this knowledge during the same time I have when EICO was around. You mentioned Marantz, Scott, Fisher and Pioneer which were major company's in the 70's but you forgot Bogan, Miracord, Empire, Kenwood and Harmon Kardon. Therefore I am curious to how we could have been around the same time when these compony's existed. I really would like to know. As you stated you know what you know. Basicailly you are consdiered an expert.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliot Thompson
Basically all my life. The first amplifier I've ever connected was an Eico HF 20 tube amplifier. My brother disconnected to prevent me from messing with it when he wasn't home. I was 5 or 6 years old then. Had my first organ when I was 4 or 5, guitar at age 6. Starting repairing audio (Nothing major) when I was 12 - 13. I used to bypass transistor blown outputs on Marantz, Scott, Fisher, and Pioneer Recievers then, use them as Preamplifiers. Surrounded by large soundsystems as long as I remember. I've been "Tuning" other peoples Rave Soundsystems for around 12 years using anything ranging from Crown Macrotechs to McIntosh MC 2500s. Bar/Bands systems for around 8 years. Reading Audio and High Fidelity magazines as early as 8 years old. Soundsystem Engineering books, Speaker Builder magazines as early as 16. So, I would say I have 22 years of experience in and around Audio. I'm 27 btw.

Best Regards,

Last edited by edwardcampbell : 11-15-2007 at 10:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:40 PM

I think I caused a slight confusion here. I wasn't around when Eico was in existence. My experimental years with audio were in the 80's when I was not even a teen. Eicos, Altecs and Dynacos were still being used by large Carribean Sound Systems in that era.

I didn't forget Bogen. I’ve owned a few Transistor and Tube amps by Bogen. You can actually pick up a working Bogen Tube amp on Ebay today. But because they are PA amplifiers, with output barrier strips stating COM,4,8,16 ohm taps, the home audio user had no clue how to use them. And let's not even forget the XLR or the vintage screw on Microphone inputs. So, they will never be worth anything in the home audiophiles eye.

When I think of Empire their cartridges come to mind. Kenwood's receivers were nice but huge in terms of size. It’s a shame their quality dropped like a rock. I actually found a Harmon Kardon Tube Receiver when I was 13 heading to School. They dumped it because the radio never worked but the amplifier section was fine. It used 7408 or 7568 tubes in the amplifier section and 12AX7 or 12AU7 tubes for the preamp section.

Miracord I've never heard of.

A lot of home audio gear was used when I was doing sound in my early teens because I never had the finances to buy pro audio gear. So I really needed to know the ins and outs of the gear considering I was using home audio equipment outside its elements.

I've learned a lot from using/owning and repairing gear that became discontinued before I was born. I think that's one of the things many who live for presets will never understand. You had to literally sit down listen adjust, re-adjust and, adjust again to achieve the sound you are aiming for and not look at a company to give you the answer. In addition to know how to troubleshoot if something goes down.

I'm far from an expert. I still have much more to learn. I was fortunate to interact with many who went their separate ways and don’t frequent the usual forums/news groups anymore.

I’m pretty much into to all aspects of audio (With the exception of Car Audio). But, Pro Audio (Racks & Stacks) is more my cup of tea.

Best Regards,
Old 11-16-2007, 01:16 PM

Just to throw a little petrol on the fire here...these mixer debates will become redundant in the next ten years as it will all be about which control surface is best.
Old 11-16-2007, 01:41 PM

i working on my telekinesis powers instead

Doolittle & Seymour Associates
Old 11-16-2007, 04:21 PM

Talking

Quote:
MIND CONTROL WITH SILENT SOUNDS

The mind-altering mechanism is based on a subliminal carrier
technology: the Silent Sound Spread Spectrum (SSSS), sometimes
called "S-quad" or "Squad". It was developed by Dr Oliver Lowery of
Norcross, Georgia, and is described in US Patent #5,159,703,
"Silent Subliminal Presentation System", dated October 27, 1992.
The abstract for the patent reads:

"A silent communications system in which nonaural carriers, in the
very low or very high audio-frequency range or in the adjacent
ultrasonic frequency spectrum are amplitude- or frequency-modulated
with the desired intelligence and propagated acoustically or
vibrationally, for inducement into the brain, typically through the
use of loudspeakers, earphones, or piezoelectric transducers. The
modulated carriers may be transmitted directly in real time or may
be conveniently recorded and stored on mechanical, magnetic, or
optical media for delayed or repeated transmission to the
listener."

You never know.....