Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-28-2010, 05:56 AM

Wharfdale Titan Sub 15A

Hello evryone,

Does anyone here have any experience with Wharfdale's Titan Sub 15A? A friend is offering me a slightly used pair at a very low price. I currently use a pair of EV SX-250A's doing full range duties. I was thinking of pairing up the EVs with the Wharfdale Titan subs.

Your feedback would be most appreciated.

COCOY
Old 05-28-2010, 07:23 AM

COCOY,

Have you heard them at your friends home or installation? If so, what do YOU think of them?

Add to which, although I have no experience with them, and haven't heard them, Wharfedale is a known name for quality products down through the years. I googled this sub, and looked at the specs, and it is very attractively priced. Specs wise it seems to be a decent performer, and has enough controls and flexibility to integrate into your system nicely. And, since powered subs are the norm these days, I would imagine they are good. I have heard other brands of powered subs that surprised me, at how well a relatively compact enclosure, with modest power, could sound quite good, and ROCK THE HELL out of a homes living room and entertainment center.

But, I advise getting a listen first.
Old 05-30-2010, 06:47 AM

Scott,

Thank you for the feedback. I will audition the subs at my friend's home in the next few days.

I am familiar with similar models from RCF & Mackie. I will use those as my point of reference.

I just hope my neighbors still love me, if ever, I do take them home with me.

COCOY
Old 05-30-2010, 07:53 AM

COCOY,

I truly believe the MORE YOUR NEIGHBORS HATE your new subs, THE BETTER they are!

Makes sense to me!
Old 09-11-2010, 11:20 AM

After much procrastinating, I happened to visit my friend who was trying to unload the pair of Wharfdale Titan 15A subs. I was there for another reason altogether.

I left with both subs in the back of the van. Currently have one unit hooked up in my living room. They ROCK!!!!!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:58 PM

The Wharfdale gear we get in Australia is cheap and i was very unimpressed when they did a demo for me but in saying that they did make a couple of subs that sounded quite nice and where about a quarter of the price of my usual cabinets.
Personaly i think it doesn't matter what brand is on the cabinet, you need to listen with your own ears to decide if it suits your system, i currently use a amp on subs in our installs which costs me around $2.5k and i like it more than the Lab's & Crowns i was useing that where well over three times the price.

P.s. sounds like you are happy with your perchace, screw your neighbours they are just jeolous...
Old 09-12-2010, 12:36 AM

@Kieran

I actually also had the same perception about the sound quality coming from Wharfdales. I still would not buy the tops, but this Titan Sub delivers the BASS! Given it's compact size & lower weight, this was a no brainer.

By next week my living room set-up should consist of 2 Titan subs, 2 EV SX250A (doing full-range duties) & 2 JBL 2342 bi-radial horns. The EV and Titans are powered so the tweeters are running of vintage Technics amp fr the early 80s. The crossover is an old Rane AC23 for the bass & highs. The fulls are running straight of the system's EQ.

..... and this all fits in the back of a minivan.
Old 09-12-2010, 10:45 AM

Sound like you now have the perfect little system, nothing better than being able to come home and play some tunes on a decent system!!