Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2010, 07:54 AM

Taiyo Yuden potentiometers

Does anyone know a source for buying Taiyo Yuden potentiometers?

I got to replace my monitor cue/pgm potentiometer on my Rane 2016S and I've managed identify it as a Taiyo Yuden potentiometer.

The old one was starting to get noisy so I decided to clean it with some electronic cleaner. Not surprisingly did almost all the crackling go away, but so did also the grease lubing the thing. Lol. I thought about trying to lubricate it, but then again, it would be better and easier to just replace it.

The potentiometer got B20KX2 printed on it. It also has a T, the Taiyo Yuden logo and the numbers 0649 printed underneath B20KX2. 0649 might be a batch number or something. I can't seem to find the specific part online, but maybe they're custom made by specifications for Rane? I know I most likely can replace it with some other part, but I thought it would be best to replace it with the original part.

Maybe I must order this through Rane?

Here's a picture for the master iso/eq potentiometers which is identical to what's used for the monitor cue/pgm potentiometer.

Old 07-28-2010, 09:51 AM

You should be able to drop any brand in there as a replacement.

B stands for Linear, 20k Dual Pot. Though i'm not sure what composition is.

Something like this would do, though you may need to trim the shaft to suit or find a pot with the correct shaft length,
http://www.altronics.com.au/index.as...=item&id=R2297
________
Toyota Group

Last edited by Richi : 02-02-2011 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:32 AM

Rane has a 3 year factory warranty and the S version has not even been out 3 years, so surely your mixer is still under warranty. If I were you, I'd call Chris Duncan at Rane and talk to him about it. You most likely will be able to get it fixed free. Also keep in mind that if you do it yourself and the mixer is still under warranty, you will VOID your warranty.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 07-28-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
Rane has a 3 year factory warranty and the S version has not even been out 3 years, so surely your mixer is still under warranty. If I were you, I'd call Chris Duncan at Rane and talk to him about it. You most likely will be able to get it fixed free. Also keep in mind that if you do it yourself and the mixer is still under warranty, you will VOID your warranty.

I don't live in America, so I bought it online overseas, something which means that the warranty doesn't apply to me because of so called gray marketing. You wouldn't believe what I'd have to pay for the exact same mixer if I would go to a store and make them order it form me. We're talking about twice as much...

Anyway, my mixer is actually just over a year old, bought it new in May last year, so I'm kind of disappointed that the potentiometer didn't last longer even though it's without doubt the one that gets the most heavy use. Maybe the potentiometer slipped through quality control or something, because I thing the shaft feel way looser than the other potentiometers of the same kind. Loose like wiggly. Still, some of the EQ potentiometers, especially those on the low bands also suffers from noise in form of crackling, but the problem there could be that I haven't used them that much.

The scratchy feeling I got after using contact cleaner was mechanically on the outside of the potentiometer. Notice the metal "cap" on the back of the potentiometer in the picture. There's a whole in it, and a little metal pin goes into there, so when you turn the knob it will go into the whole to mark the position when the knob is at 12 o'clock. I noticed that the other potentiometer had a thin layer of grease there, so I found some lubrication I had at home and applied it to the scratchy potentiometer and now it runs smoothly again. This is only what I see as a temporarily fix though, so I will need to get an replacement, but as I can't seem to find the exact part I'm looking for with the extra part on the back I think I will have to contact Rane in order to get it right.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:07 PM

You can't just clean a scratchy pot. Rane recommends DeoxIT faderlube which safely cleans And lubricates the pot. I fixed a couple of my Urei pots with it 9 months ago, and haven't heard a peep out of them since.

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeoxIT-Fa.../dp/B000H2G5R8
Old 07-28-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew Dowling
You can't just clean a scratchy pot. Rane recommends DeoxIT faderlube which safely cleans And lubricates the pot. I fixed a couple of my Urei pots with it 9 months ago, and haven't heard a peep out of them since.

http://www.amazon.com/CAIG-DeoxIT-Fa.../dp/B000H2G5R8

I know, but Caig doesn't have any dealer here in Norway or Europe as I know of. Try ordering things on a can with aerosols these days... Can't send things like that by air anymore because of "terrorism", so it will take ages for it to reach it's destination.

I was thinking about getting some CRC 2-26 and use that. I looked up in an old Rane manual, and there they recommended CRC 2-26 too. They don't really recommend you to use that stuff on potentiometers though, it's more for faders. At least that's how I read it.

Still, the best thing will be to replace the bad potentiometer
Old 07-28-2010, 08:49 PM

Hi,
call Rane man they have a Great Costumer service...

I had the same problem, call them and a few days after they sent me a new potenciometer.. I live in Portugal and the mixer wasnt in the warranty

Cheers
Old 07-29-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lektrikboy
Hi,
call Rane man they have a Great Costumer service...

I had the same problem, call them and a few days after they sent me a new potenciometer.. I live in Portugal and the mixer wasnt in the warranty

Cheers

Nice!

What number did you use and who did you talk to?

I'm thinking about writing an email though, phoning overseas has never been my strong side. "Hello, I'm calling from Norway..." lol
Old 07-29-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disko Ole
Nice!

What number did you use and who did you talk to?

I'm thinking about writing an email though, phoning overseas has never been my strong side. "Hello, I'm calling from Norway..." lol

LoL

I emailed Chris Duncan at Rane - chrisd@rane.com

Hes a nice person, explain what is your issue.
I had luck, he sent me the potenciometer and i didnt pay NOTHING

Now i sold my brother´s 2016a and im going to get a old 2016. if i like it ill keep if not im going to buy a Urei 1620 old.

Cheers
Old 07-29-2010, 01:17 PM

Thanks for recommending Chris Duncan everyone. I've just sent him an email so now there's nothing more to sit back and wait for an outcome.