Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2012, 05:59 PM

2012-2013: Are Rotary Mixers getting more Popular?

It's a given that most of the world uses Pioneer DJM-800 or 900 mixers. Some EDM people use A&H but I bet that's 5-7% of club market share. The Rane SSL mixers probably have a large niche following with Mobile DJs and some hiphop installs.

That said, it seems like there's a lot more Rotary Mixers and Isolators coming out, and more DJ's I come across are aware of the existence of this stuff and they're not scared of using it, at all.

Unlike most Rotary users, I don't play much House Music or classic Disco at all. I use Serato, and I play very little real vinyl. I'm probably what you'd call a "Hipster DJ" who mixes Rap with Country with Italo with etc, etc... But, I love the feel and sound quality of a Rotary -- and most of all I love the unbeatable way a premium rotary blends two tracks. It sounds much, much better even with no per-channel EQ like on a Pioneer or whatever.

I find that people at gigs appreciate the sound quality too. They don't quite know how or why it sounds better, but I hear comments all the time that it does, even from people who don't know anything about sound systems.

I'd say that "superior sound quality" is a good way to distinguish oneself in a world where anybody with a laptop and pirated software can call themselves a "DJ".

Curious what other people's experiences about all this are...
rs