Labels
Distributed Labels
Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 05:23 PM

Im just about sold on the DJ100i cart. I noticed in your pictures that you have it set up with a technics headshell. I was wondering if it really makes a difference what kind of headshell you use. I have a technics headshell but its already set up with another cart, and new technics headshells are something like $20 or $30 dollars. There are a bunch of different headshells on the market for around $10 dollars from companies like Gemini and American Dj. Considering the price difference, is it important to have a technics headshell?
Old 06-27-2010, 05:34 PM

Mate I know what you mean about rip off but luckily I kept mine.
Third party shells work different with the arm as they are different weights which affect the total mass of the arm also quality may differ as well as materials used.
See if you can get some cheap Technic's ones of ebay or us Wave users
Old 06-27-2010, 05:35 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
Ebay Is The Answer,,, To Your Probleeemsss.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETRODISKO
Ebay Is The Answer,,, To Your Probleeemsss.

Indeed but just be careful..don't turn into a gear whore like this dude lol no wait do and you will make lots of money and sleep with lots of girls

if you have the skill lol

Old 06-27-2010, 05:45 PM

that looks like an expensive electricity bill...

yea i guess ill try to hunt down a used technics headshell but in the past the pickings on ebay have been pretty slim..

thx guys
Old 06-27-2010, 05:46 PM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
Wuaaaaaa , ...
Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 PM

Also, is there much difference between the DJ100i and DJ200i? would it be fair to say that the DJ100i is comparable to the Grado Black cart, except with a thicker cantilever and the DJ200i is comparable to the Grado Blue with its 4 piece cantilever design... ? I would love to see a sound quality comparison between these carts..
Old 06-27-2010, 10:20 PM

Do we know the cantilever on the dj versions are thicker, with higher tip mass?

The suspension certainly is more stiff, but other than that I thought they were identical to the equivalent hifi versions. Since the hifi versions sometimes get comments they should actually be running more in the 2 gram range, I was wondering if perhaps the dj versions might actually be better since the hifis are close to bottoming out with that much VTF. The tip mass dictates what minimum downforce ought to be. The compliance dictates what arm mass/inertia you should try to use (warp tracking versus bass breakup) and what the allowable maximum downforce can be without bottoming out.

So having high compliance if the cantilever has too much mass might actually not be preferable. The DJ200i had zero treble intermod issues at 3 grams. I never tested it lower before sending them back. Yet the Black and Red have comments by users on the net about some unkempt sizzle and breakup in the treble until you raise the downforce past the recommended 1.5 grams. In a situation where tip mass is low enough for the high-ness of the compliance (squishiness), then you want the lowest downforce you can get away with while still having optimally clean treble. This not only reduces record wear, but vastly improves treble transients.
Old 07-17-2010, 11:44 PM

Ok so I finally received a single DJ100i cart in the mail yesterday. I only bought 1 because I wasn't sure that the DJ100i would be a practical cart to DJ with, considering its low output combined with my xone 62's very weak phono preamps. Although the Grado website says the DJ100i has a 5mV output, the slip that came with the cartridge says it only has 4mV of output. With the gain cranked to its highest position, the output of the cart can make the +1 decibel marker on my mixer's meters. Thats better than I thought it would do, but I wouldn't want to play out with it. My pioneer 707 has more powerful gains but I haven't tried the cart out on that mixer yet.

The cart sounds much better than my shure whitelabel, m97xe, and m44g. The highs and mids are good, but the bass is a bit muddy... probably a function of my room more than anything else. The mids are not overpowering, which is nice, because with my whitelabel they are. My xone 62 and my speakers kind of add a lot mids anyway.

I would def recommend this cart to somebody that wanted a hifi cart that could take a bit more abuse than standard hifi carts, but as a DJ cart it has a few flaws. Firstly, the cantilever looks fragile and probably is compared to the whitelabel and m44g. Second, it is hard to see and place the cantilever on the record compared to my other carts. Finally, its output is a bit too low, at least on my xone, to use as a DJ cart. I probably will not buy another DJ100i for my other turntable, but I'm happy with my purchase, because it sounds good.

I do not have any hum.

This is my system:
xone 62 mk1
technics 1200mk2
technics 1200mk5
CDJs
marantz reciever
mordaunt-short 908 floorstanders
pio 707 (which I have not tested with the DJ100i)
Old 07-18-2010, 05:08 AM

You would be surprised about the cantilever, I got a cramp in my arm when picking the cart and I slammed the thing on the platter dragging it across at max force but the thing remained intact.
I agree the low output thing sucks, I'll send Grado another email but I don't think they will do anything about it.

Think i'll upgrade to DJ-200i styluses next
Old 07-19-2010, 03:20 PM

The first yellow led on the Xone 62 (+1) on the master meter isn't such a bad spot to be running the mixer at, according to the manual. The headroom is your safety and when it begins to distort, the A&H will do so gradually... as opposed to a Biamp which will do so suddenly at the first red. The first yellow is the same spot the Denons, 680EL, and the Stanton low-inductance hifi MM carts run at, too. If you can't even reach that, try running the aux out as your primary output, use the main/booth outs as effects sends, and mix by way of the aux knobs or if you put them as post you can mix with the faders. Pre provides you further boost over unity on the aux knobs. The filters also work far better with the routing options available and the aux/crossfader knob.

I would be curious to find out if the DJ grados use the same cantilever as the hifi Prestiges.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:31 PM

So I'm going to soon be upgrading to 200i stylus but here is a reply from Grado regarding a few things inc the hum issue.

"200i's body is better but consider a 200i stylus in a 100i body as between the 100 and 200.

200i will back cue no problem

It's not the shielding that causes the induction of the hum, it is the way the coils are aligned in the body, this alignment is a two edge sword, excellent for fidelity , channel separation,low distortion, etc, but can allow induced hum.

I'll let engineering know about the output."

First youtube mix I have done with them... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4dlvUAAbLQ they hold the groove better than any other cart I have used before

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 07-28-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:15 PM

yea after owning the dj100i for just over one week, I can say that my only complaints are its low output (xone 62) and its awful tracking. Raising the VTA helped a little bit, but I still can't recommend this cart for djing... maybe if i were to set it up with a protractor...
Old 07-29-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cube3
yea after owning the dj100i for just over one week, I can say that my only complaints are its low output (xone 62) and its awful tracking. Raising the VTA helped a little bit, but I still can't recommend this cart for djing... maybe if i were to set it up with a protractor...

You are joking right? I can scratch with this cart untill the cows come home and I don't get any wobble..it just never skips out the groove.

What turntable are you using, what height and weight, how did you allign the cart in the headshell

On my 1210's this cart can out back cue Ortofon's and Stantons fo'sho

I'm tracking at 2.2G's, vta at 4, anti-skate set using blank record and overhang set using the Technics protractor.

I had a friend come round the weekend who stoped DJ'ing quite a few years back, we usually piss about in the studio (he plays bass) any way I let him have a play on the 1210's and Urei...beeing rusty and quite heavy handed never had one needle skip only thing we had was good sound :-)

Last edited by vinyl_junkie : 07-29-2010 at 03:10 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM

technics 1200 mk5
weight 2.3
tracking 2.something
vta 1
overhang.. aligned cart with the end of the headshell..

..i guess ill try raising the vta a bit more, although for some reason I thought that I shouldn't...
Old 07-29-2010, 05:35 PM

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ght=protractor

http://www.wavemusic.com/community/s...ght=protractor

maybe try using a free protractor?

above are some threads here that talked on the subject....
i am sure there are many more option available too.

good luck!
Old 07-29-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
technics 1200 mk5

overhang.. aligned cart with the end of the headshell..

This is where you are going wrong, use the Technics gauge.

I used various alignment methods and while some may sound better than the Tech gague; As you get near the end of the head shell the back cueing starts to suck big time..with any cart.
Technics method offers best compromise for sound and back cue imo
Old 07-29-2010, 07:16 PM

hm okay i just bought one off of ebay... hopefully that will help. raising the vta from 1 helped alot too btw...
Old 07-29-2010, 07:41 PM

Quote:
hm okay i just bought one off of ebay... hopefully that will help. raising the vta from 1 helped alot too btw...

Cool, lets us know how you get on with the Technics overhang when you get it