Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to johnpuga1982
$16,000 for a cartridge?

Was browsing through Jerry Raskin's "Needle Doctor" site and came across ZYX Diamond-G. They go for $16,000. If you click the link, there's a lot of other cartridges that are over 10 grand.

I would love to hear the difference between a $16,000 cartridge and a $200 cartridge.

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-S...e=1%2C50%2C321
Old 01-02-2010, 03:42 PM

You would require a $200,000 turntable using $5000 cables on a $150,000 amplifier powering $100,000 speakers in an acoustically treated room with conditioned AC power. Don't forget to clean your ears out too. Then you will hear the difference, maybe. That is of course if you're paying attention to details and nuances instead of just listening to the damned music.
Old 01-07-2010, 03:17 AM

Send a message via MSN to RETRODISKO
Anndd good point...... thats esoteric stuff.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:03 PM

i think david mancuso uses koetsu carts. im sure if you ask on dhp he might answer
Old 01-14-2010, 03:44 PM

One really has to hear cartridges to KNOW what they sound like.

And, same as everything else, the reviews can't tell us IF WE WILL LIKE IT OR NOT! Towards the middle and end of the 90,s I went through "Cartridge Fever". Had to have this, wanted that, still looking for something else, found out that I liked certain Grado,s, the Audio Technica AT150ML, and still stood with my personal dance music favorites THE STANTON 681SE!

Then, I bought a few losers along the way, too. One, which has ALL the recommendations and reviews, is from a maker known as Garrott Bros, from Australia. Good for classical recordings, hated em with dance!

JUST BECAUSE it COSTS SOOOOO MUCH, GUARANTEES NOTHING! And, further food for thought, NO cartridge made will make a BAD RECORDING SOUND PROPER! Then, always remember, any device might be that good, if used on another device, or with another device, of the kind the manufacturer designed the product to be used with. This means David Meza is right about needing a certain TT, and arm, as cartridges mate well with some arms and not others. Putting a cartridge designed to be mounted on a SME arm, on a standard technics S arm, well......

Also, manufacturers and their marketing departments are MORE than aware of how price sways people into LUSTING a product. They can, will, and DO, price products high, and advertise their use of Rarium, Bullshitanium Oxide, and UNOBTANIUM, housed in a custom hand milled solid piece of special mineral only available on URANUS. They know that we always want what we can't have, and many people do think, " Hey if it costs more, it must be better", and that ain't always the case!

Now that highly conductive metal, "UNOBTANIUM" has been known about in the audio community for years. And THIS is what they were looking for on Pandora in the movie Avatar! Only we live in real life, not fantasy, so, don't always believe the hype!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:57 PM

Hahah right on Scott!
As to what carts David Mancuso uses I'm sure the dudes from Isonoe on this board can answer that as they setup his carts when he hosts his London Loft party's.
Mark told me once but I forgot..all I know is they are rather pricey
Old 01-16-2010, 04:45 AM

David does indeed use Koetsu.
________
buy extreme q vaporizer

Last edited by Richi : 02-02-2011 at 06:36 PM.