Links

Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2013, 10:08 AM

Is Connecting An Amp's Inputs to a Source While Both are on Bad?

Assuming the volumes are all completely down and the speaker & headphone selectors are switched off to protect all the drivers, has anyone ever heard of things shorting out on properly functioning gear or caps being blown by simply connecting or changing the input leads (not talking about the speaker leads, of course) while the gear is on? Specifically, I think something happened to an amp of mine when I changed the interface cables to a different input to test it. I'll admit I was impatient and it wasn't as careful as I usually am, but I'm pretty sure I've done that before and never noticed this being an issue. I went from trying the RCA inputs to the TS phone inputs on the amp. If it's not normally something that should cause problems, I'm wondering if my Emu interface's jack outputs are defective in design, as it *may* have caused problems for a powered PA monitor, too, but I'm unsure.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html

Last edited by Reticuli : 02-06-2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2013, 04:28 PM

RCA plugs momentarily connect without it's shield/ground so it can cause damage.

1/4 inch plugs, T-S and T-R-S all short the positive through the shield/ground so it can also cause damage.

XLR plugs connect/disconnect all pins simultaneously so they're usually silent and safe to connect while the equipment is powered up.

BUT, the general rule of thumb is power down an amplifier when messing with any of it's connections.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:02 PM

Thanks. I'll try to remember that and stick to it from now on.

http://www.openfuelstandard.org/2011...pen-wager.html
Old 02-06-2013, 05:15 PM

Many a tweeter has been fried by removing RCA connectors when power is still on, as stated, always power off and you will be safe.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:45 PM

I actually think I trashed my record input this way long time ago! Better to be safe than sorry. To bad one have to experience some set backs before truly respect those simple rules