Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-18-2008, 06:35 AM

Back To dayz with skills....

EarLy 90s... the dayz that skills makes the people enjoy the djs...the dayz that Djs were djs....nothing less than pure dj skills with a rotary mixer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUBir...eature=related
Old 06-18-2008, 10:59 AM

Yesssssssss,
This was the real thing in the eighties and nineties.

At home I picked out a 150 old and new (for that time) 12 inches. Put them in a row (tone, BPM, accapellas, breaks etc.). Get stickers in the groove where you want to start the track, write down the pitch on the labels.
Give it a try at home and I got a beautifull set for about 4 or 5 hours.
When playing that evening in a club you were absolutely the superstar.
People just saw what you have been doing. They did not even to dare to ask for requests. Just respect.

Mixing, Flanging, dubbing, scratching and echoing with 2 copies of the same track.
There were no Pioneer FX, MOFX and other playthings for 25 years ago.
Just one bozak, 3 SL 1200's, an active X-over, a boombox and an EQ.

Man, I fucked up so many 12 inches which now cost a fortune.
And how many tips I 've broken down.

I still miss those days.
That was really working for your job.

cheers
Old 06-18-2008, 12:42 PM

yeah i remember people watching. i remember scratching, spinbacks, accapellas beat juggling and all those things now associated with "turntablest". now i'm lucky to find 1 turntable that works in a venue and toy mixers seem to be standard as well. but when i get 3 decks and a decent mixer i can still put on a show.

it's a shame when for most of us the best console we play on these days is in our homes!

kieren.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:57 PM

[quote=Special.K
it's a shame when for most of us the best console we play on these days is in our homes!

kieren.[/QUOTE]

.....so wise ....and true....
Old 06-18-2008, 01:11 PM

.....Also its a shame that most of children today who wants to be djs the dream booth for them is a set of cdj 1000 and a djm mixer....no one knows the roots and the dj culture of house or dance music generaly...
Old 06-18-2008, 02:07 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
the only thing that ticks me off about the new era is this..

My friend brings over Serato, we plug it in.. I mix in a record and he throws on a track.. not once does he pull the needle off the record, he's 22 and never played records.. even after yelling at him to get with it.. Not once.. it's a foreign concept for chris' sake

DJ = DISC JOCKEY, play a freakin' disc or sumthin' once and a while. Sure it's great to have your whole collection for your choosing. Get yer freakin' nose out of the computer and stop burning my expensive needles!!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:32 PM

Thumbs up I agree with all the Artists....

here on this thread. I'm 31, but did not start spinning till 2000. However, am proud to at least catch the tail end of the SL1200 generation and hone my mixing skills through vinyl. All of my friends who decided to become DJ's started on CDJ's and have no concept of beat matching thru your ear and not to rely on BPM counters. To NOT have the luxary of having a "CUE" button in the event you F up. The old days if the needle skipped you had to improvise and just go with it or to back cue till you found the right spot again.

IT IS A SHAME that no one keeps properly maintained SL1200's anymore. However, things i dont miss is having to lug 100 lbs. worth of vinyl and having to keep it away from direct sunlight is not enough. LA + Summer + Car trunk = warped vinyls. But what I do miss is crate digging and having a personal attachement to the vinyl label or jacket art. Now I gotta assiciate the artist and the title, etc.

Although most of you would classify me as a kid still, I've done my research and agree with all of you
Old 06-18-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles0322
the only thing that ticks me off about the new era is this..

My friend brings over Serato, we plug it in.. I mix in a record and he throws on a track.. not once does he pull the needle off the record, he's 22 and never played records.. even after yelling at him to get with it.. Not once.. it's a foreign concept for chris' sake

DJ = DISC JOCKEY, play a freakin' disc or sumthin' once and a while. Sure it's great to have your whole collection for your choosing. Get yer freakin' nose out of the computer and stop burning my expensive needles!!

If I see another Serato set up I'm going to puke!
Old 06-18-2008, 03:50 PM

Sorry but imho i cant see no skillz at all!

Sure he has alot of free time, because i takes a lot of time to practise a "battle" set like this.

But a skillful dj is in my eyes someone who excatly nows which record to play at which time (an i did not mean any type of hit)
Someone who can read the crowd, someone who can "work" a soundsystem, without overdriving it

Someone touches my soul an make me dance!

And i wont dance if the DJ changing the Records every 15 seconds.
And then start mixing with a Jason mask...
Thats not a DJ for me that's something like, sorry, a clown!

And now i am going back to my Urei 1620, to my crown PSA 2's, to my JBL Slot's to my Thorens TD's to my Pioneer CDJ and to my Traktor Scratch.
Ever thinked about that Larry was a pioneer?
Using the newest stuff out there!

Last edited by Laurin : 06-18-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:10 PM

do you believe that the nowdayz djs aren't clowns?...and without a mask...
sorry but even a deaf can play with nowdayz machines... that is not djing...
Old 06-18-2008, 04:23 PM

you doesn't get the point at all!
Old 06-18-2008, 04:50 PM

.......and what are Karizma, MAW, Martinez Brothers, FK, UR dj s, Surgeon, Henrik Schwarz Henrik, Oliver Ho, Dixon, Lawrence, Jeff Mills, D. May, Seth Troxler, Omar S, Keith Worthy, Raresh, Rhadoo, Laurent Garnier, Deep, Patrice Scott, Theo Pharrish, KDJ, Mike Huckaby, Rick Wade, Rick Wilhite and so on.....doing now?
Old 06-18-2008, 07:27 PM

they are full out rocking the planet wherever they are and keeping the music real by pushing the technology to where it needs to be for however they need it to be

use the machines to get it done

just play good music

tha,sit!!!!

oh and if you think playing a crazy megamix is not skillfull try to align those stickers at just the groove half a beat ahead of where you need it keeping in mind you cant cut them cause you need the factory edge so the needle has just the right slip into the groove every time its a painfully time consuming process

but whatever if you like music and you take te time to be creative with it then thats your contribution

wherever you are just do the damn thang

there are so many styles of playing its crazy and i dont think we see enough of it to be honest

peas

ps

f**k the haters
Old 06-18-2008, 07:40 PM

Happy to see Seth on that list. I am quite fortunate to have so many opportunities to hear him play.

As for the history of dance music, musicians played instruments lvie to gethte people dancing. I believe we are simply in a transition period where that will happen again, albeit with newer instruments.
Old 06-18-2008, 08:57 PM

many of the modern djs use the moders machines-toy mixers and cdz to show skills that they dont have or that the machine gave them......loops...reloops...effetcs...etc...you can make the crowd get crazy also with cuts,backspins...kills from iso 's....etc..things that only based on your skills and not to the specs of your mixer or cdz...
Old 06-19-2008, 02:34 AM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
use it all, it's about blending the technologies and having fun with music. Any tools that allow the music to shine are welcomed. it's an art and I like to see it treated as such. rare these days..
Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erwintjoe2016
But what I do miss is crate digging and having a personal attachement to the vinyl label or jacket art. Now I gotta assiciate the artist and the title, etc.

I know what you mean. I have a lot of tracks that I don't even know the title OR artist, but when I see the sleeve I know the track, and vice versa.

Last edited by jnkarrik : 06-19-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 AM

what is exactly so skillful about using an isolator? It's a powerful, yet simple effect, but how does it take a special skill?

I'd call skill to be banging some midi pads which trigger some complementary (being the key word!) beats while managing everything else.
Old 06-19-2008, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by der geile ami
what is exactly so skillful about using an isolator? It's a powerful, yet simple effect, but how does it take a special skill?

....what is so skillful about using the isolator...hm let me think..its about using the iso like joe claussell...or like my little 15 years old sister...

Last edited by Rotary Dreams : 06-19-2008 at 07:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurin
And then start mixing with a Jason mask...

Didn't DJ Scratch (EPMD's DJ) have a routine where he juggled "Friday the 13th, I'ma play Jason" from "Ain't No Half-Steppin'" while putting on a mask?

Just wondering if I remembered that right...

Peece,
T. Tauri

Last edited by T. Tauri : 06-19-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:48 AM

i remember dj swamp scratching eye of the tiger while wearing the t-shirt of a metal band.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:47 PM

yeah and i remember a dj scratching the melody of star wars with a darth (f)vader mask on, so what?

Dont get me wrong, i did some megamixe's myself. I started my dj life as breakbeat/hiphop dj and you can believe me i know how to work these stickers.
It takes for me 12 weeks to learn the crab scratch. What i said it takes time but i can teach a chimpanzee how to do a scratch.
Remeber all these "lil kid does unbelievable scratch routine" on youtube?
These are no dj Skill's!

The Skill is to when to drop the crab, or iso, or delay or whatever an when not.
An in this case claussel has no...
Old 06-19-2008, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJH
.......and what are Karizma, MAW, Martinez Brothers, FK, UR dj s, Surgeon, Henrik Schwarz Henrik, Oliver Ho, Dixon, Lawrence, Jeff Mills, D. May, Seth Troxler, Omar S, Keith Worthy, Raresh, Rhadoo, Laurent Garnier, Deep, Patrice Scott, Theo Pharrish, KDJ, Mike Huckaby, Rick Wade, Rick Wilhite and so on.....doing now?

careful name droppin there...Rick Wilhite and many of the Detroit cats DO NOT play on Serato etc...they are all about analog and keepin vinyl alive....hell Rick doesn't even use cd's when he plays. ...back to the topic though, that vid is cool..it just kills me how his records are stacked on top of each other on the tt's and he just throws them behind him after they're played...lol...they must sound awesome!!

Last edited by geoff : 06-19-2008 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-19-2008, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurin
yeah and i remember a dj scratching the melody of star wars with a darth (f)vader mask on, so what?

No argument intended--just seeing if anyone could confirm whether I remembered the routine correctly or not.

Peece,
T. Tauri
Old 06-19-2008, 04:19 PM

I saw a DMC routine where Swamp had on a metal band shirt. I don't remember if he used Eye of the Tiger or not though. At the end of his routine, he put his head to the tonearm and licked the needle.