Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:33 PM

Beyma tweeters

So I know they are not the real deal, but wondering if these are any good at all.

CP22 bullet: http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP22-1.htm

or the CP21/F slot: http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP21F-1.htm

This would be for my mobile rig.. and I would never put a real JBL bullet or slot on that rig for fear of some idiot blowing it up. For my home rig yes... I want the real deal, but for the mobile rig looking at adding 4-8 tweets above my fullrange cabs that are decent clones of the JBL originals.

So.... any good? I know I saw an old post from Scott on the Lansing Heritage board where he recomended them as a decent alternative. Would like some oppinions.

Oh, and if they ARE at least decent.. which should I go for, the slots or the bullets? I'm thinking of going with 8 total with 2 per corner stack....but maybee 4 would be enough????

Discuss.

Watch me spin live Saturdays 3-5PM PST here
http://www.stickam.com/faderwaveradio

Baba Booey!
Old 09-13-2008, 05:35 AM

they are way better than the JBL tweeters. much higher tolerances in metall work AND in voice coils. and - always available at good prices since minimum 25 years. if you run them passive + active with a separate amp with a 1uF or less 630V foil capacitor you can crossover at 20kHz or higher and have similar smooth highs like a ribbon tweeter.
Old 09-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Senior Citizen

They are not bad. They were really popular in Europe in the late 80s and early 90s. Nowadays most companies and DIYers use compression drivers that extend to the higher frequency ranges as well, so these tweeters aren't as popular anymore. EAW use them for their DC series of install speakers though:

http://www.eaw.com/products/DCT1.html
http://www.eaw.com/products/DCT2.html

/Daniel
Old 09-13-2008, 06:32 PM

a lot of people use them in the US now because jbl stop making the 2402
Old 09-13-2008, 08:32 PM

OK cool. Honestly I was expecting to hear they suck lol. They look really well made though if they sound good I will try them.

Now the only question is which to get, slot or bullet. I'm thinking I'll go with the slot due to the wider dispurtion.

Baba Booey!
Old 09-13-2008, 10:41 PM

ive heard nothing bad about them. i heard them @ spny they sound good
Old 09-14-2008, 07:29 AM

Kevin,

I would stick with the JBL 2402 or the 2405 they often pop up on ebay. I had the CP10,CP16,CP21,CP22 they sound ok but i do prefer the JBL 2402 bullet
Old 09-14-2008, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmariog
Kevin,

I would stick with the JBL 2402 or the 2405 they often pop up on ebay. I had the CP10,CP16,CP21,CP22 they sound ok but i do prefer the JBL 2402 bullet

Here are a few pics ..

This is what I use in my mobile set up
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JBL 2402.JPG
Views:	1355
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	2021  

Last edited by djmariog : 09-14-2008 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Here are a few pics ..

This is what I use in my mobil set up

here is another i have made by a wave member...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	JBL 2405.JPG
Views:	764
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	2022  
Old 09-14-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
here is another i have made by a wave member...

here is the beyma whicjh i will be listing on ebay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BEYMA CP10.JPG
Views:	700
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	2023  
Old 09-14-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
here is the beyma whicjh i will be listing on ebay

here is what started it all the classics which I own 4 of
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RLA.JPG
Views:	1021
Size:	69.4 KB
ID:	2024  Click image for larger version

Name:	RLA DISCO.JPG
Views:	650
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	2025  
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
So I know they are not the real deal, but wondering if these are any good at all.

CP22 bullet: http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP22-1.htm

or the CP21/F slot: http://www.usspeaker.com/beyma%20CP21F-1.htm

This would be for my mobile rig.. and I would never put a real JBL bullet or slot on that rig for fear of some idiot blowing it up. For my home rig yes... I want the real deal, but for the mobile rig looking at adding 4-8 tweets above my fullrange cabs that are decent clones of the JBL originals.

So.... any good? I know I saw an old post from Scott on the Lansing Heritage board where he recomended them as a decent alternative. Would like some oppinions.

Oh, and if they ARE at least decent.. which should I go for, the slots or the bullets? I'm thinking of going with 8 total with 2 per corner stack....but maybee 4 would be enough????

Discuss.

Kevin,

What crossover are you going to use ?

What I reccomend is the GSA unit........

I love it and recently pulled my RLA & installed the GSA and it made a big differance. The rla unit needs to be recapped do to its age. I do stock the GSA unit if you would like one give me an email.

With this products and all my products if you are unhappy you are welcome to return it for a refund less shipping costs as long as the come back in the same condition.

THE UNITS ARE 100% HAND MADE & MADE IN THE US BY MR. GARY STEWART OF GSA HIMSELF.

Last edited by djmariog : 09-14-2008 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-14-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Kevin,

What crossover are you going to use ?

What I reccomend is the GSA unit........

I love it and recently pulled my RLA & installed the GSA and it made a big differance. The rla unit needs to be recapped do to its age. I do stock the GSA unit if you would like one give me an email.

With this products and all my products if you are unhappy you are welcome to return it for a refund less shipping costs as long as the come back in the same condition.

THE UNITS ARE 100% HAND MADE & MADE IN THE US BY MR. GARY STEWART OF GSA HIMSELF.

here is a pic of my rack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3570.JPG
Views:	483
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	2026  
Old 09-14-2008, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Kevin,

Hi Mario, thanks for all th info. Much appreciated. I am looking for tweeters for two totally different rigs, my personal home rig and my mobile rig.

The home rig I will definatly go with original JBL's and will be using an RLA style crossover as this system will be a 100% analog system. I am the ONLY person who will be playing on this system so I can install whatever I want and not have to worry about blowing anything up.

The mobile rig on the other hand is a different situation. This rig is used for rentals, ie a promotor is throwing a party and contracts me for the sound system. I have no involvment in booking talent. So at the end of the day this means I DON'T trust the people who will be playing on the system at all. This system is a compromise between trying to get the best sound I can while keeping system protection the top priority. For that reason this is unfortunatly not an analog system and I will not be using an RLA style crossover. This system uses a DBX Driverack 260 DSP unit with hard limiting set so the dj can't blow the system up pretty much regardless of what they do. Because of the nature of this rig I don't want to use real JBL 2402 bullets or 2405 slots. I think the Beyma's are the best bet for this rig becasue from what I have heard from people with experience with them they sound very good, they are well made, they are current models not vintage and are relatively low cost so if something DOES happen to them its not as big a deal as blowing a vintage JBL.

Baba Booey!
Old 09-14-2008, 02:07 PM

Quote:

These pictures illustrate something that is really confusing me which is relating to dispurtion.

I'm REALLY not sure what I should go with.. bullets or slots. Can't make up my mind. Slots have much wider dispurtion while bullets are more sensitive. I am leaning towards slots because of the wider dispurtion.

The pictures you have posted show RLA bullet arrays and bullets only have 40 degree dispurtion. Yet the way the bullets are layed out in these arrays are more suited to drivers with a minimum of 90 degree dispurtion. So, please enlighten me... what is it I'm missing?

Baba Booey!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 PM

does fane make a bullet tweeter
Old 09-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Kev.....give this ad a shot:

v

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/msg/832729889.html

Reply to: sale-832729889@craigslist.org [?]
Date: 2008-09-08, 11:55AM PDT

I have 17 alnico magnet JBL tweeters available.
All are either 2402, 2405 or 075 magnet assemblies.
All have been upgraded to 2405 diaphragms.

I have 14 2402H/2405H JBL tweeters available.
All have also been upgraded to 2405 diaphragms.

All tweeters have been tested & work great!

$120 each

Contact Bill (310)350-8127
Old 09-22-2008, 02:27 PM
Samplaholic

I see the Selenium makes a slot as well. I've never heard it or heard of them being favored. Anyone know about them?
Old 09-26-2008, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin James
These pictures illustrate something that is really confusing me which is relating to dispurtion.

I'm REALLY not sure what I should go with.. bullets or slots. Can't make up my mind. Slots have much wider dispurtion while bullets are more sensitive. I am leaning towards slots because of the wider dispurtion.

The pictures you have posted show RLA bullet arrays and bullets only have 40 degree dispurtion. Yet the way the bullets are layed out in these arrays are more suited to drivers with a minimum of 90 degree dispurtion. So, please enlighten me... what is it I'm missing?

yeah i always built cabinets allowing for 40deg but my thinking is you don't need complete coverage in a tweeter array built for effect!

kieren.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:36 AM

Quote:
Good ol Alnico magnets, u are aware that if these alnico motor tweeters have been blown and are over 25 years old, a trip to JBL for regaussing will make an audible difference? And it's inexpensive to have done.

Personally, I liike the 2404 design as my stack tweeter, and bullet type tweeters as my center clusters effect tweeters.

The beamy dispersion characteristics of bullet tweeters can get a bit annoying, so wide dispersion tweeters on your stacks help keep everything nice and even!

The Beymas are supposed to be pretty good, NOT quite like JBL sounded, but, good, from what I hear.

I want to try JBL 2407,s, 1in VHF horn, polyester diapragm, 113db @ 1w @ 1m!

Someone on Lansing said they are GOOD!
Old 09-27-2008, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special.K
yeah i always built cabinets allowing for 40deg but my thinking is you don't need complete coverage in a tweeter array built for effect!

kieren.
TRUST me, bullets by themselves, beamy, and you move around your listening space, u hear your highs going up, down, highs over here, no highs over there, as move around.

Thats why they use wide dispersion devices mixed with these bullets, BUT, on their own, bullets aint so happening!

However, nothing makes that Tss, Tss, Tss, liike a bullet ring radiator, u just need a wide dispersion tweeter on your stacks, as well. Or a wide dispersion horn that goes all the way to 18k or 20k, with a suitable driver.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:18 AM

hope you had a good summer Scott!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubman5
TRUST me, bullets by themselves, beamy, and you move around your listening space, u hear your highs going up, down, highs over here, no highs over there, as move around.

Thats why they use wide dispersion devices mixed with these bullets, BUT, on their own, bullets aint so happening!

However, nothing makes that Tss, Tss, Tss, liike a bullet ring radiator, u just need a wide dispersion tweeter on your stacks, as well. Or a wide dispersion horn that goes all the way to 18k or 20k, with a suitable driver.

Whats up Scott. Thanks for the info, that is exactly what I needed to know. Since this will be for a mobile system I am only going to put tweets on the stacks, no overhead clusters. So I will go with the sluts... er I mean slots

Thanks again.

Baba Booey!
Old 09-27-2008, 11:11 PM

hi guys, it was a fun summer, the music was, and is hot. Computer and serato work well, and sounds good.

Gettin new computers, MacBook Pro 17in dual core 2.6 GHZ processors, 4GB RAM, 200GB HD@7200 RPM, 2 LaCie 500GB external HD storages, I wanted the Xserve, loaded with three 300GB@15000 RPM, but, tricked out, the xserve runs about 7 G,s.

Kevin, you know what you might want to research, a good 1in driver, and a wide dispersion small horn, THIS can make seriously GOOD TOP END, AIRY, SHIMMERING AND SPARKLY, and can legitemately handle more power than my bullets, I'm experimenting, I may take my bullets down and return to this, only with new horns and drivers, I prefer aluminum diaphragms, and there are several brands available, with Al phragms, and won't cost what a house costs, and this is how we did it, years ago, and IT WORKED.

I'll let you know what I do, and how it works.