Search

Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2008, 04:57 PM

NYC Membership space Goes SBS

As we all know the club climate today in nyc is very tough esp on new venues that would like to open. I am now getting alot of requests for sound in private spaces.

Here is a prime example of how some will fight the fight against the city and create there own inviorment to party without having to deal with the nonsense and noise issues.

My client has taken over a large office space somewhere in nyc to build his place to party. For months we have been designing and coming up with a design that fits his idea of what he wants & the enviorment so the neighbors will not hear him & he can go all hours of the night.

My client has taken over this office space and totally isolated it from the building. We floated the entire space and acoustically treated it, so it is treated perfect for sound quality, and made 3 rooms inside of 1 main space for my client & his members. The floors, walls, & ceiling is totally isolated and floating now, so he will not have to deal with noise problems, and he has a place for him and his members to have fun on a SBS system.

The house system will be SBS Cabinets Processed by a SBS S3X, 3 way xover, powered by Thrive Audio Amps - 2 Ionas, 2 Sylas, 1 Alva. He will eventualy be going with Thrive Audio processing in the imediate future, Isolator Bad Neighbor, Bender 5 way EQ

The Booth monitors will be EAW DC series cabinets, with clients QSC amps that he has had for some time.

I have some of the pics up that are higher res, there will be more to come on my myspace page in the pics section as work progresses, enjoy

www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	2081  Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	2082  Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	5.4 KB
ID:	2083  Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	2084  Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	3.9 KB
ID:	2085  

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-10-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2008, 03:34 AM

Shorty Hi !

What do you mean by "floating" ?
Old 10-11-2008, 03:39 AM
Senior Citizen

Floating means you have a bed of isolating material on the floor of the room, then you lay a new floor on top of that and also build new walls attached to the new floor, so you will have room floating within the existing room. Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_p..._Within_A_Room

/Daniel
Old 10-11-2008, 11:30 AM

Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniels
Floating means you have a bed of isolating material on the floor of the room, then you lay a new floor on top of that and also build new walls attached to the new floor, so you will have room floating within the existing room. Read more here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_p..._Within_A_Room

everything is designed to isolate the room from the buildings structure, even down to isolating the studs and the screws, so they can not create any vibration in the buildings foundation, so the room is on its own.

All the AC ducts, have been isolated, and been designed special to eliminate issues, and all the studs to hold up the lighting trusts have been designed to be isolated aswell

If you go to the myspace page www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty you can go to the pics folder and see this space as we are building it out.

www.systemsbyshorty.com

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-11-2008 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:03 AM

It was inevitable that spaces like this would pop up in NYC....and with less to spend on licenses, permits, fines, B.S., etc., an owner could budget more on the system and aesthetics part of a space. Good luck with it Shorty.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshorty
everything is designed to isolate the room from the buildings structure, even down to isolating the studs and the screws, so they can not create any vibration in the buildings foundation, so the room is on its own.

All the AC ducts, have been isolated, and been designed special to eliminate issues, and all the studs to hold up the lighting trusts have been designed to be isolated aswell

If you go to the myspace page www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty you can go to the pics folder and see this space as we are building it out.

www.systemsbyshorty.com
Basically, a room within a room. Very elaborate construction. Very outstanding,, all the best, cheers.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:36 PM

I forgot

Quote:

www.systemsbyshorty.com

to mention, The new floor is suspended on springs, The springs are placed in areas in a bed of cement we layed down thats about 3 inches thick on the buildings floor, that is how the floor is isolated from the building structure, aswell as 3 layers of treatment on the walls so they are about 4 in thick.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-12-2008 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
to mention, The new floor is suspended on springs, The springs are placed in areas in a bed of cement we layed down thats about 3 inches thick on the buildings floor, that is how it is isolated aswell as 3 layers of treatment on the walls so they are about 4 in thick.

If I remember correctly, Stereo was originally done the same way.
Old 10-12-2008, 01:07 PM

No

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhh212

Stereo was framed out to level the floor, it was a old movie theatre from the 60s, and suspended it. This is a totally diff design, Seperate this room completly & float it, like it dont exist so nobody can hear you and bring on unwanted issues in the neighborhood.

It is very classic NY attitude my client has, you tell me i cant do it, F, you, im guna find a way and do it, & this is what im gunna do,and dont care what it costs lol

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-12-2008 at 01:38 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:05 PM

WOW !

All that work and expense to isolate the sound vibrations. Is the purpose to make the noise a non-issue ?

What about locating in a business district that no one lives in residentially so that at night no one would care ? (See I am showing my age) I guess the value is so great for Manhattan that spaces like that are now impossible to find.

Shorty how large is the space ? I hope it is going to be Gay

Then we can convice Terry Sherman, Bobby Viteritti and Mark Thomas to come out and spin a few nights (grin)
Old 10-12-2008, 03:07 PM

There is a small studio, in Brooklyn, and the guy built this way.

It,s very elaborate, and expensive to do properly, and it,s a room built within a room, sort of, completely isolated, and deisconnected from outside nnoise, vibration, etc.

A "Floating" room, if you will, think about turntables, suspended by rubber bands, attached to console, yet, floats kin own space, completely, well, virtually completely disconnected from all surrounding vibration, noise etc. Except the air.

This is an overly simplified explanation, but it gives you a general idea.

We do not realise just how noisy, rough, and subject to constant vibration and movments our everyday world, indoors and out, really is. Till you hear a silent, vibration free space.

if one is willing to, or wants the VERY BEST that can be achieved, what Shorty is speaking of, will be a room, within which the sound system has the ability to resolve the finest, most minute, and delicate details in recordings.

I will give another simplified example, in 1986, when we got our rubber band console, the difference in record playback was ear opening. Even though my tables weren't rumbling in the old console, the playback was clouded by vibration, buses, bumper cars, etc. Floating tables lifted a thin micro haze from the music, like cleaning a window immaculately, its clear as day, right? Then open the freshly cleaned window, THAT extra nnnth of a lux of detail, resolution, clarity, and visibility is slight, BUT visible, and DOES make a LARGE difference. transients emerge from nowhere, utter dead background, with startling impact, speed, and LIVE clarity.

All it takes is lots of money, and the desire to build it!

Shorty, I have a question, are you using any computer modeling, and programs to aid you? I.m sure you will do many final decisions by intuition, and what feels/sounds right, but, Im interested in your thoughts as the computer as an aid, not the entire design process, just a tool?

I find computer simulation, and modeling a useful aid, doesn't substitute for my brain, and final decision, but it does allow one to have greater predictabilty of the job!

IMO.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:28 PM

Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvLatins
WOW !

All that work and expense to isolate the sound vibrations. Is the purpose to make the noise a non-issue ?

What about locating in a business district that no one lives in residentially so that at night no one would care ? (See I am showing my age) I guess the value is so great for Manhattan that spaces like that are now impossible to find.

Shorty how large is the space ? I hope it is going to be Gay

Then we can convice Terry Sherman, Bobby Viteritti and Mark Thomas to come out and spin a few nights (grin)

locating a buis district in NYC ok lol, not these days they are finding ways to put residence in these zones,which is why my client here is doing this project this way to do his private club with the people he wants in there closed to the public. So there are no issues and it is controlled in every way.

Last edited by soundmanshorty : 10-12-2008 at 03:36 PM.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:41 PM

Thanks

Quote:
It was inevitable that spaces like this would pop up in NYC....and with less to spend on licenses, permits, fines, B.S., etc., an owner could budget more on the system and aesthetics part of a space. Good luck with it Shorty.

alot i appreciate it

www.systemsbyshorty.com

www.myspace.com/soundmanshorty
Old 10-12-2008, 04:35 PM

It just has to be Gay

Only a gay would go to all this trouble and expense. Cant wait for it to open !
Old 10-12-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:

NP...And who knows....if the economy tanks, crime rises, regulations are out the window and underground spots like this turn up again, NYC nightlife might actually make another comeback! Heres to hoping...

And btw- I meant that Stereo isolated the dancefloor this way with the framework and springs....not the whole space. Ive never heard of this being done before!
Old 10-12-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
I think this is a fantastic oppurtunity for you. Reputation will will proceed your work and club, exclusivity factor makes people VERY aware that IT exists, they will wonder and want to to gain entry.

People hear about it, and want what they can't have. Human nature wants we we are told wse can't have, they wonder whats goin on in there, what am I missing.

Client/System orders grow further , club in NYC, and with some additional good fortune, more jobs than u can do, LIFT OFF, and the chance to say "I HAVE ARRIVED"

Good for u.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:04 PM

Quote:
NP...And who knows....if the economy tanks, crime rises, regulations are out the window and underground spots like this turn up again, NYC nightlife might actually make another comeback! Heres to hoping...
Some of the best times for entertainment, and music in the United States have been the worst of times for everything else.

Remember when NYC was crime ridden, sleazy, dirty, and dark, sinnister streets at night?

WE HAD THE BEST MUSIC, THE BEST CLUBS, AND THE MOST FUN!

DECADENCE RULED!
Old 10-12-2008, 09:37 PM

great to hear that theres a prime space being created in nyc hopefully more will happen private spaces always garner legendary vibes

i believe stereo did have a spring floor but i heard they took out the springs a while back

i could be wrong tho

peas
Old 10-19-2008, 10:30 PM

Another solution is to use wireless headphones. Saw this on some news show. I wonder if there would be a way to add microphones, give everyone a number, and invite people to join your "channel". Then you could block people's channel, too. Cheaper, nerdier solution to the same problem ;-)
Old 10-20-2008, 01:00 PM

Send a message via AIM to charles0322
Quote:

Actually stereo was not suspended with springs.. It was a floating concept though. The walls were not joined to the floor and the I-beams used in supporting the floor sat on thick rubber mats with a piece of steel between the two pieces of rubber.. The cabinets sat on the floor and the bass kick added to the bounce & feel of the dance floor. It is still the best floor I have ever danced on. I think the confusion may lie in the fact it was labeled a "sprung" wood floor.

pics of an extra one left over from the construction..

Last edited by charles0322 : 10-20-2008 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 03:31 AM

cool i knew it was some type of dampening

thanks for pic thats cool

peas