Adv. Search

Subscribe

Email

Go Back   Wave Music Community Board > Tech Talk for Gearheads

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-26-2015, 04:55 AM
Senior Citizen

Studio 54 Barcelona

I don't know much about this venue or what the affiliation was with the real Studio 54, but I found these video clips from the club while searching for info on the resident DJ Raul Orellana. It seems they had a full on Richard Long sound system in there. There are no pics of speaker stacks or anything in the videos, but some pretty good shots of the DJ console in there.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ORELLANA54/videos

Maybe somebody else has some more information?

/Daniel
Old 04-27-2015, 02:52 PM

That is crazy, I never knew about that. That is definitely an RLA system with a Bozak, Acoustilog units, and a DBX 500! I have family in Spain so this brings a smile to my face.

It's funny to hear Huey Lewis and Miami Sound Machine on that system!

Musically speaking, Spain was always a little behind in the times really until it became part of the Euro zone -- that's not a knock on Huey, I love me some 80's new wave. But the Franco regime really set Spain back from accessing global culture until later than say Italy, France, Netherlands or Germany. House music would have had a hard time making it over there in the 80's. The Saturday Night Fever soundtrack was still big in Madrid in the 80's. Barcelona was always the most cosmopolitan city though, so it makes sense that there would be a market for a high-end system in a club.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:02 AM
Senior Citizen

I wouldn't say Spain was behind in times with music in the '80s. This club just catered for a different kind of clientele than say the Paradise Garage. This was as I understand it a commercial "disco" more than an underground night club. House music in general didn't become a public commodity until around '88 when it exploded all over Europe. The clips from the booth I'd say are from around '83-84 In the clips from '89 you can hear a lot of house music.

Spain had lots of talented DJs in the '80s and a lot of technically advanced mega mixes were made by Spanish DJs during this time, although a lot of them were quite commercial or European in their musical material. Raul Orellana's own megamixes come to mind and also the Max Mix series.

/Daniel